• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

to spay or not to spay is it always necessary????

ah144

Warren Scout
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am crying and kicking myself at the moment, i had a bun spayed and she pulled her stitches out twice, so has been operated on and restitched and glued twice and bandaged! i took her back today and the vet took the bandage off and checked her wound that is now massivly infected she is now undergoing a third op to remove the infected tissue etc my vet says it does not look good and if she makes it through the op then wants to rebandage and change every 2 days.i am now questioning myself as was it necessary to get her spayed as i was pairing her up with a neutered male anyway....and if i had'nt she would now not be in the position she is now in....bordering rainbow bridge

Andrea don't beat yourself up please you had her spayed and you reduced her risk of cancer and hormones which would have made her much easier to then pair up with any bun XX You didn't and couldn't have known that this would happen XXX

Definitely, it's unfortunate but it's not your fault. Spaying is definitely the best thing for her in the long term - can you imagine in a few years time if she fell ill with uterine cancer and these complications had occurred then? Not only would you have the same problems as you have now, but your bunny would have been a lot more sick at the time of the operation anyway. I really hope your little one is alright and feels better soon.

For anyone else scared of having their buns spayed I would say the most important advice is to find a vet who does rabbit spays regularly and can answer your questions with confidence. For example do they use heat pads, do they routinely give pain relief, and do they do internal sutures to prevent the bunny from pulling her stitches. If the answer to any of those is "no", then personally I would choose another vet to do the spay.

i live in a group of towns and this vet i settled with was used by the local charity so i decided to use them for my 11 buns,the other vets in area don't seem to have a clue.....anyone know of any vets in kent that display a keen interest in bunsters or at least know the basics that you are talking about??????

Kent seems to be an awful vet area!!!

I emailed two girls on this website who live near me to ask if their vet a#was any good and one of them said her male bunny had died after the neuter and the vet was horrid and the other one had a really bad experience too!

I don't really trust my vet although i have been very lucky that Skip has been well so far but i haven't dares to get him netered although i know it's easier for males. I just can't risk it.

If i had a female i would have too as i know the chances of cancer are very high, don't blame yoursevle you made the right decision it's a shame that vets are very bunny aware

i have to agree with everything that has been said, you had the right intention getting your bunny spayed to help her long term with cancer etc. i hope she is ok after this op and she can be paired with her boyfriend when she is well enough.

is she staying with you or at the vets?

sophie

she has been at the vets since that day!!hopefully having her home on monday :) ...gota go through the bonding process again though!!

Andrea, shame my vets is much to far for you. As for to have rabbits done or not, there is a very real risk of a doe that has not bred getting womb cancer and sometimes at a youngish age. The fequence of testicular cancer is much much lower and is not as important. Having said that of course its important so you can pair rabbits up and if you have a rabbit that sprays. The rates of cancers in both was agreed by my vet as she has very rarly seen cancer in males. This being pointed out i would not recomend to anyone that came to my rescue not to have both done

Back