• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spaying my baby has left her bordering rainbow bridge

ah144

Warren Scout
:cry: :cry: :cry: 1 of My babys,oscar has ripped her stitches out twice and had to be reoperated on and restiched and glued,the vet put a body bandage on her,took her back today to have it off and she has a massive abscess at the wound area now :cry: :cry: :cry: the vet is saying it does not look good and will operate on her this afo :cry: :cry: and rebandage
her so she can't rip her stitches out but redress every 2 days,surely the dressing sould of been changed more frequently than 1 in 9 days...his response to this and reason for not doing it was due to the fact that it would of disrupted her :cry: :cry: now i am now left kicking myself for getting her spayed in the first place as she was bonding up with a male that i had neutered. :cry: :cry: the vet wants her left with him for a few days (again) so she can be redressed etc...thats if she makes it through the op and depending on the damage of the abcessed organs. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh Andrea! Im sorry that she is not well sending lots of healing vibes and snuggles XX

can you use a collar (like what a dog has) the vets should sell them.

sorry to hear about her, i know what it is like i have sat up for two nights solid to make sure they dont keep going at the stitches!

my vet says he has tried it and would cause more harm than good as she keeps doing back flips.....i just phoned and asked if they would consider that and i would keep her in a confined space while i am out and can monitor when i'm home, the vet nurse said well we can't keep her in a shoe box!!!!!awaiting the vet to phone.

they are all special but this little baby and her sis are xtra special they are 23 weeks....i've only had them a while travelled 50 miles to pick them up and their owner had left them in their hutch on the pavement outside the house on the street,can you believe it!!!!i could'nt, it took all my strength and dignity not to hammer on their front door and give them wot for!!if my partner and child had'nt of been with me i prob would of! :oops:

Awww I'm so sorry to hear about your little bunny and I'm keeping everything crossed that she comes out of this o.k.

This is such a difficult one really as I personally feel that it is in the best interest on the bunny to be spayed although I know its a very invasive operation and in fact Buffs pulled her stitches out but luckily the wound stayed in tact. :roll:

I think its rare to have this kind of complication where the bunny repeatedly pulls out stitches and although I know Elizabethian Style collars are normally a last result perhaps this could have helped in this situation and may be absolutely necessary if there is further risk of your bunny doing injury to herself.

Keep us posted and thinking of you.

wot should i do,....leave her at the vets or demand (nicely) a collar and monitor at home??i just do not have much faith in leaving her at the vets and relying on them changing the bandages every day as i feel if he had checked her bandage as oppose to just sniffin it and stating no fluid was leaking so she was not infected....when she was, this would have been picked up sooner after all she had the sticky body bandage on for 9 days.

So sorry to hear your news, ARC have had 2 buns over the years who have wounds that opened up, I am not sure how many we have had neutered but we are talking about 200-300 maybe more. It is one of those unfortunate things which can happen. A collar is not recomended as it prevents the poor bunny who needs all the nutrition she can get, getting to her food when she wants, rabbits are grazers unlike dogs who are more likely to eat their food either at once or in a few goes.

Do let us know how she gets on.

Janice

Phoebe pulled her stitches out and the vet put metal staples in instead. They stayed in for ten days and then were removed. Just had Amber spayed and the stitches were inside so she couldn't pull at them. I am suprised your vet restitched her after she pulled them out instead of using staples or glue.
I hope she will be ok. I felt bad for putting my two through the operation but they have recovered now and it is to help them in the long run.

jrn1310 said:
A collar is not recomended as it prevents the poor bunny who needs all the nutrition she can get, getting to her food when she wants, rabbits are grazers unlike dogs who are more likely to eat their food either at once or in a few goes.
Janice

Yeah Janice - I know in the Harcourt-Brown Bunny Bible it mentions that they are now quite rightly much less used for the very reason you mention above. Added to this the fact that the bunny feels like its trapped being a prey animal causes even more stress.
My previous vet suggested putting Buffs in one when she removed her stiches and Buffs went Ape the minute it was put on and despite my Vets insistance I never used it again.

One of the nurses though at my Vets mentioned that in very severe cases they may use them for just part of the day and remove during the evening for feed times and to allow them to eat their soft poos - so ensuring that a very bad wound gets at least some time to heal - not sure if this helps or not :?:

well the vet has just returned my call and is not willing to try a collar,or metal staples,or glue as he states these all irritate....so his treatment will consist of stitches,and changing the bandage 1 every two days.he wants to keep her in for 3 days....this is if she makes the op and is not to internally damaged, they will ring after operating on oscar. :(

Could you ring another vet and ask for a second opinion. The staples didn't irritate Phoebe and my friend had her bunny glued with no problems.

hi

I've just been talking to my vet about spaying my girls and she said she does internal, hidden and dissolvable stitches with rabbit spays, so the rabbit can't chew the stitches as they are inside (if you do needlework I guess it's the same principle as invisible stitching there) - This is what your rabbit needs - If your vet has never heard of them then you could ask for a referral to one that is used to this technique?

Re: hi

elve said:
I've just been talking to my vet about spaying my girls and she said she does internal, hidden and dissolvable stitches with rabbit spays, so the rabbit can't chew the stitches as they are inside (if you do needlework I guess it's the same principle as invisible stitching there) - This is what your rabbit needs - If your vet has never heard of them then you could ask for a referral to one that is used to this technique?

Thats what Amber had too!

it is so infected it needs to be done asap......my vet was very assertive and will not try any other method,he is the only local vet in my area that deals with rabbits,so i have to abide by his treatment as it is of an urgent nature. :cry: :cry: :cry:

omg , i,m so sorry that this has happened :shock: I hope all goes well today .
My pair go in tomorrow to be neutered and i,m getting myself in a bit of a state now :shock:

Oh andrea i would go with what your vet says but changing the bandage more often should help to keep the wound clear. Did someone not suggest a while ago putting a baby t-shirt on a bun to stop it nibbeling stitches?? If that would work i would try that as it will be less irritating to her XX

If oscar pulls through the vet wants to keep her in for 3 days with bandaging on and to change every 2 days,i could ****** kick myself for not insisting at the first check up that he take the sticky bandage off as oppose to just sniffing and stating it does'nt smell infected and leaving it on for 9 days !!i HE SAID NOT TO TAKE IT OFF AS IT WOULD CAUSE MORE DISTRESS TO OSCAR,'m a total idiot :cry: :cry: :cry: i just felt i could not question a professionally qualified person who has more knowledge and experience in this field than me!!!.....lesson well learnt.

Back