• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help!!!!

Michelle

Warren Scout
i had joey out to run around earlier today and everything was fine. but i just got him out again and he is limping, his foot that he is limping on seems to be swollen. he also doesnt seem to be himself, he is very slow and just generally doesnt seem right since i got him out to run. so i gave him a thorough check and i noticed that by his bottom underneath his tail it is very red and there isnt any fur on where it is red.

anyone know what is wrong with him??

all i can think of is that he might have had a fall? he might have scraped his botty and also landed badly on his foot :?: i hope he will be okay though :(

I'm not sure what it could be.. I did have a cat who got stung and her paw swelled up.. Perhaps it could be something like that, but then that wouldn't explain the redness.. hmmm :? I do hope he's alright

the redness could be a hock? millie got red sores on her bum and feet and its from rough surfaces or carpets! try putting sudacream on bunnies bum and make sure the cage is padded out for the bad leg. if it doesnt get better in the next day or two go to the vets!

well he is already booked in at the vets on tuesday for his myxi jab do i'll tell the vet then! thanks!

That's a good thought Amy. Squidgy gets sore hocks, he lives inside. He now lives on a jersey coton duvetcover, vet bed and a cotton throw over the carpet, so as not to hurt his little feet. He is very spoilt!

i had a bunster once that was limping i took to the vets the next day and she had broken bones in two places,if buns still limping in morning i would take tom not wait till tues.x

Is it his front or back foot? Is the whole foot swollen or just the bottom. Sore hocks usually cause scabs across the bottom of the back feet. Check his nails aren't to long and as suggested give him something soft to walk on.

If the foot problem isn't sore hocks he could have injured his paw.

The redness around his bottom sounds like it could be urine scold - this is where the urine runs across the skin instead of getting 'squirted' away as usual. This causes redness and fur loss in the groin and inside of the backlegs. There are a couple of reasons that could be behind it - if he has a problem with his foot/leg he might not be lifting his tail properly when he goes to the toilet or he could have a urine infection. If this is what it is then treatment is cleaning (use cotton wool and boiled water (left to cool) followed by applying a thin layer of vasilne to protect the skin.

You need to check his bum closely atleast three times a day as soreness in that area can attact flies.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

That's true, I had a bunny with a dislocated hip once and she got urine burns because her back end wasn't quite pointing the right way.

I would definitely suggest going to the vets, especially as he seems slow and not quite himself. That could be a sign that he is in pain, because they try and hide it so might just be acting a bit slower.

Back