• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cage or crate?

Vic&Oat

Young Bun
Hello,
I'm new! Am planning to get my first house bunny in January, and am wondering whether its better to get a crate or a nice roomy plastic cage...any ideas? Its all very exciting!!!
Vic
xxxxxxxxxx
ps have found the forum very helpful so far!

You will find a lot of people on here use dog crates as they are easy to clean and the buns love them! Plus, they are great of you want to add a second layer to them!

I have one for Sophie as it gives her plenty of room, it's easy to clean, it was a great price and she won't out grow it! Plus, it looks fine in the house and it's great for Sophie to see us wherever we are in the lounge! :D

Welcome by the way! :lol:

i would definitely go for a dog crate! my 2 love theirs! they are much bigger than those indoor cages, and are higher so they can stretch out!

heres a piccie of my crate....

HomeSweetHome004.jpg

welcome to the forum! :D

sophie

hi

I've got both - a Marchioro 4x2 cage, and a dog crate which I just purchased - Once I'd put some cardboard under the metal tray, the dog crate was OK to use, but the cages are far far easier to clean - But the dog crate folds up when you're done (not that I will ever remember how!) and you can put an extra level in as it's higher - But the rabbit should only be using either as a base to sleep and eat in, as they need time out of the cage/crate morning and evening to run about for a couple of hours - so they're both fine for snoozing in - and both cost about £50 so it's down to personal preference really :)

sophiemarmion said:
i would definitely go for a dog crate! my 2 love theirs! they are much bigger than those indoor cages, and are higher so they can stretch out!

heres a piccie of my crate....

HomeSweetHome004.jpg

welcome to the forum! :D

sophie

I soooo love that piccy! Every time I see that I think, I must do that with Sophie's cage!! :lol:

thank you!

i really need to take some new piccies of their crate, as it looks different, and i have changed their toys round!

sophie

Hello, and welcome.

I used to have my buns in a plastic based cage, and now have a dog crate so I have experienced both.

The plastic based caged was definitely easier to clean out and kept their mess in better as it had a high base. I used to cover the bottom with news paper and put a scoop of cat litter inthe two corners they wee'd in. So to clean it out it was a case of rolling the newspaper up and getting the last few bits out with a cat litter scoop thing.

My dog crate has a second shelf in it so I sweep the top shelf onto the bottom and then sweep the bottom up and wipe it down with baby wipes. They have a litter tray in there which I empty every day, plus the hay falls out of the cage as the base is v shallow so I have to vacuum more. So this is definitely more effort.

However, the buns are so much much happier in their crate. They have much more space and therefore more varied things to do in there, and more toys. I find that they often spend time in there even when the door is open which they never did with their cage. They love the second level, its where they spend most time.........

Bunnies_August05002.jpg

Also, we've put a big piece of vet bad on top of the dog crate and we store stuff on there, so its quite useful for us too.

I would definitely always have dog crate now, I have a spare for when they go outside for some fresh air, they're really easy to put up and down so I just store it behind the wardrobe.

Hello! :D

I'd personally recommend a crate because:

- crates tend to be cheaper than equivalent sized cages.
- crates have more head room so the rabbit(s) can stand on his/their hind legs and stretch out
- you can fold it flat when you're not using it
- they're easy to clean
- my rabbit managed to crack a plastic part of his cage, dog crates are metal so more durable

I found a crate much easier to clean than a large cage, you can slide the tray out and scrub it down, and wipe round the bars easily. My rabbit also prefers his dog crate to the cage he had originally! :D

Watch out if you're getting a tiny baby or a dwarf rabbit though, some of the crates have quite large gaps at the bottom and a little rabbit could escape.

Kate and Jack

I would love to buy a huge crate for my bun Leila to live in , these plastic cages are not big enough in my opinion, the only problem is, i couldn't cover it with newspaper as she eats any sort of paper! Other beddings would probably be too messy, any suggestions? :?

Vetbed is brill as it is absorbent if they have an accident and very cosy! All three of my outdoor bunnies have it and they love it!!

I use a dog crate in the house (usually when buns are ill/recovering from ops etc). They are really good + if I had my bun in one permanently I would def go for a big one + put some levels in it.

Nicola

i've just been looking on ebay and can't believe the price of dog crates!! there's a 46" for £35 and i spent £10 more than that on just a cage! I thinks i'm going to make that tobey's xmas present...

sophiemarmion that crate u have looks very luxurious!!

Thanks guys!

Hi,
thanks for all your suggestions! Am going to check out e bay for those cheap offers! Crates seem to be the chosen homesteads both for owners and buns!
Have got plenty of time to find the right one as my bunny is not arriving until January...lots of time to bunny proof my home!
Vic
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
will keep you all posted!

Dawn&Leila said:
I would love to buy a huge crate for my bun Leila to live in , these plastic cages are not big enough in my opinion, the only problem is, i couldn't cover it with newspaper as she eats any sort of paper! Other beddings would probably be too messy, any suggestions? :?

what are you using at the moment to line her cage?

can you not use lyno (sp?) to go on her cage, and then a blanket for her to lay on or something! mine have lyno squares at the bottom of theres from the £ shop!

sophie

Hi Sophie,
Thanks for the link...they look fab, cant believe the prices compared with our local pet stores! Good old e bay!
I don't know where i am going to get my bunny from yet. I would love a dwarf lionhead...big fluff!
Have tried rescue centres to have a scout about but most in my area rehome buns in pairs...will have to wait and see. Any ideas?
What bunnies do you have and where did you find them?
This forum is totally addictive!!!!!!!!!
Vic
xxxx

Hello Sophie, at the moment I use sawdust to line her cage.. I even catch her occasionally eating that (despite the fact she gets unlimited hay, and some veg and pellets.) I'm afraid she would most likely try to chew the lino, and most definately eat the blanket :( The worst thing is she does actually swallow things, we have to be so careful. Maybe this behaviour will calm down after she is spayed, as she is a little sexually frustrated :shock:

mady has a cage - I line it with newspaper and vetbed on top. I have also used a grass mat (you know the ones you use on the beach ) very cheap and easy to cut up. mady has a bit of a chew.

Back