• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please

KazPetts

Warren Scout
One of the babies is very thin although he/she is eating.
His/Her bum can get very dirty and I have noticed a kind of clear bubble substance coming from the genital area today. It is as if he/she is struggling to go to the toilet.
Any ideas anyone. Don't get me wrong I will take him/her to the vets if I really need to but apart from being thin and this discharge the bunny seems ok.
Seen the post on baby wipes and I will use them the next time I clean this little one up. I have also ordered some of that dyn-amite stuff for when it comes to cleaning out the cage. I don't want my bunnies to be hit by flystrike.

If he/she's got a dirty bum quite often and is skinny, I would definately get the vet to check them out.
One of my buns had some sort of bubbly stuff come out of his bits a while ago, but the vet couldn't figure out what it was. He did think it was possibly an infection that had set in as Mary was rather down in the dumps anyway - he'd had a look at his teeth and found out he had a nasty spur that had cut his tongue, so he hadn't been eating well and was rather miserable. He was put on Baytril and it cleared up, so maybe baby bun's immune system is lowered because he's poorly with something else and other infections have had the chance to get hold on him.

Thanks for that. Will take him/her to the vets tomorrow morning once I have seen the kids off to school.
Looks like it isn't only my bunny that is suffering with this at the moment either.
I have cleaned it up again this evening and I have to say he/she is passing normal poos now but there is still some of this sticky stuff there but nothing like it was earlier.
Poor little thing. He/she is eating the hay that I have supplied for them so it isn't as if it is not eating.
Will see what the vet says tomorrow and will keep you posted.

Back