• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

quadrupal (spelling???) chin!

ah144

Warren Scout
i took a bun in yesterday that is about a year old,she lived in just a run with wire for the flooring!she is very overweight and has lots and lots of chins!!!like an apron under her mouth obviously this hinders her cleaning herself...i remember a few years ago talking to a charity worker who had a bunster that had lost lots of weight and was going to have an operation to remove all the excess sagging skin, has anyone else heard of this? or any other advice for helping this bunster??

has millie always had this?or is she or has she been overweight?this poor bunster has been munching grass allday,....don't think shes ever seen it before! :lol: :lol:

well im not too sure... when she lays down her head is kind of surrounding by lots of fluff..........
look heres a picture.

lolbunny.png

its lots bigger now, but i wouldnt say shes very overweight although i should make her eat slightly less!

When ever ARC have had overweight buns in we tend to put them on a diet of only a tiny amount of pellets, a little fresh veg and lots of hay and fresh grass and get them out in a run each day for some exercise.

They usually loose weight quite well that way.

Janice

the problem i have with that is.... she will be joining a group of two bunsters so how can her intake be monitored?

Ruby is quite a slender rabbit ( I think she looks too thin, but she's a belgian hare cross - I think they're a different type of build) but she has a huge dewlap. It doesn't stop her cleaning herself, but it's certainly a lovely pillow for her, when she gets all snuggled in.

Millie's a Magpie, Poppy's a Harlequin,

Poppy's just like my Harley who has the biggest dewlap ever :roll: I keep meaning to see if she can gt dewlap reduction surgery

I'm wondering if its a Magpie/Harlequin thing, 'cos all the Magpie/Harlie buns I've seen are the same

I find that dewlaps often reduce when does are spayed. Are the bunnies mentioned here with large dewlaps un-neutered?

I've got a neutered male dwarf lop who has a huge dewlap - I thought it was only female rabbits who had them, but the vet said that some males do develop them - he also rests his chin on it like a pillow. :D

Jane

Back