• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

keeping warm

snowy2005

New Kit
I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas for keeping snowy warm on a night now that its getting cold and she is an outdoor bunny. At moment she is on vet bed we put some hay in her hutch the other night but by the morning she had got the hay all tangled around her leg as she has got splay leg
Thanks
Emma and Snowy

There is a product called a hutch snuggle: http://www.scratchandnewtonshop.com/Products.aspx
which insulates the hutch, this will help keep your bunny warm. Is it possible for you to get a neutered boy bunny to keep her company (you may need to get a bigger hutch to accommodate them), then they could snuggle together for warmth. The idea of putting a smaller box of some kind inside the hutch may also help, as she could snuggle down into that a bit easier, maybe with vetbed up the sides of it as well.

Other than that, ideally I think she should come indoors over the winter, as with her splay leg she is likely to not be the hardiest of bunnies and it would be horrible for her to get cold.

I'd def reccommend a Snuggle Safe, I have these for 2 of my buns and will be investing in another one for my little bunny over the winter. Now it is getting colder, the minute I put the Snugglesafe in her bed Pippa jumps in and snuggles up!!! Cosy buns!!

A friend will keep her warm and occupied on wet days.
We give extra bedding and cover the front of the hutches at night
We have a small soft bed for the smaller rabbits and fill it with hay with a snuggle safe underneath

Oh both my hutch buns also have a thick blanket covering their hutches (or 2 in the freezing winter nights!).

snowy2005 said:
Thanks for replys she lives with a gp and we cover the front of the hutch up every night.
Emma and Snowy

I thought Guinea pigs had to come inside for winter as its too cold for them. They don't make the best companions for rabbits as they have different dietry needs. There is also the risk that the rabbit could injure the gp if she kicks out. Rabbits can also bully gp's, does the gp have somewhere to hide away from your rabbit like an igloo or cardboard box?

Back