• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - before or after spaying?

Karly

Banned
Those of you who've got an unspayed female to bond with a neutered male, if you've gone on to spay the female, have you delayed the bonding until after it's ben done and she's recovered, or have you gone ahead now and kept them together while she's recovering?

personally i would spay her first, then there will be no problems, if you spay after you have to separate them whilst she is being done and she will smell differnet when she is returned which could cause problems!

eve x

hi

I'm going to get Tansy spayed before bonding her properly with Benny - they'll just be neighbours till then - But I know Marie (Bluebunny) got Miffy spayed way after bonding with Claude, and she had no problem re-uniting them - depends on the personality of the bunnies and how closely bonded they are :)

If they were bonded before spaying, would they have to be seperated again while she recovered, or would they be OK to be put back together straight away?

hi

It depends on the bunny - Claude was very gentle so Marie put Miffy back in after a day living next door to him - But if the bunnies were still at the humping and chasing for dominance stage it wouldn't be a good idea to put the girl back in, plus she is supposed to be indoors for at least 2 days (OK if you have a house bunny pair) and needs to have less exercise, jumping etc for a week, just so's she doesn't start it bleeding again - it's a major operation, unlike neutering for boys.

Back