• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Preventing Flystrike

smash1

New Kit
Hi,

I've just been reading through some old threads and found a few nasty stories about fly strike and am now concerned as to whether I am doing everything I should be. My babies are all vaccinated and regularly cleaned and as they come out every day I would hopefully pick up on anything quite quick. Is there anything else I should do? I know the vet's have a poster for Rearguard, has anyone tried this?

Is there anything else I can do to prevent flystrike?

It's not as bad now we're getting into the winter months there's not as many flies, I don't think you can get vaccinations for flystrike but yes I've heard good thinks about rear guard. Also just keep checking their bums twice a day if you can as it spreads very quickly.

You must have read my posts about Nougat then. It does happen incredibly quickly, as I go out to my buns last thing at night and first thing in the morning, and she was well infested by morning. I've out rearguard on my remaining buns, but honestly, I think the problem with Nougat was that she was overweight and couldn't clean herself properly. She had been on a diet since being with me, and was losing it, but she was still a big bunny. I still feel huge guilt, even now.
As a preventative measure now, there is fly paper around the run, the bunnies get cleaned out every morning and they have rearguard on. I also make sure their diet is good and that they don't have sticky or runny poos.
It should be getting better now as the weather gets colder. There are other products you can try as well, but I can't remember the names at the mo!

Dyna mite is great and all natural. Its made from citronella and lavendar. You dilute the solution and spray it into the living quarters and leave to air dry after cleaning.

http://www.doghealth.co.uk/dyna-mit.htm You can get it from here, they have a great service! It's not a treatment for flystrike but just a percautionary (sp! :oops:) measure! :D

hi

If they're in a hutch or run you can fit net curtains to the wire bits for the summer - There are a variety of fly repellants designed for patio living which contain citronella too - Rentokil do a good 'air freshener' type thing which I put on the patio when the bunnies are out...and I spray my net curtains in the bunny shed with DEET as well, from the Boots travel section. Assisi grooming lotion from Bunny Bazzar is recommended to spray (dilute) on your bunnies too - I haven't tried that yet but I will next summer :)

Thanks for all the advice, I'll definitely be trying it out. It was poor Nougat's story I read, thank you for sharing it with us, I was aware of flystrike but didn't realise how fast it could do so much damage. That must have been awful.

It was, quite possibly, the worst moment of my life, to pick her up and see maggots basically eating her. She was a strong, brave girl though and fought with mw all the way, but the after effects were just too much for her. She'snow buried under a rose bush in the garden, a white one that smells beautiful, so she's always in my thoughts.
I'm glad, if nothing else, that this has brought a greater awareness of the huge damage that flystrike can do and so quickly.

Back