• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded piggies!

elve

Banned
:D I'm so glad I managed to bond these two lonely boys - I won't have to get either of them neutered now! As you can guess, Basil is Milo's dad, but it didn't look good yesterday as Basil wouldn't stop mounting Milo, and Milo was having none of it - looked like a fight was brewing so I seperated them :(

fatherandson.jpg

Suprise suprise - today I thought I'd try them in the run together, although it's surrounded by females in cages - and they greeted each other like old friends - Stodgy Basil actually skipped and jumped :shock: They played chase around the houses :lol: No mounting at all! And finally settled down to eat hay together - They're now in a 4x2 cage and look so cheerful - if you can imagine a cheerful guinea pig :D

buddies.jpg

:love: :love: :love:
They're beautiful. They're such lucky piggies to have been rescued by you.

elve I am soooo jealous of your piggies, they really are a handsome bunch arent they!!

how are the new babies getting on?

hi

The new babies are great thanks :D Unbelievably the boys have to come out next week before making the girls pregnant - they're only tiny!! Giles is an amazing 2 week old piggie though - he steals all his mum's veg whereas the others aren't even eating any yet :shock:

I bet there will be some squeaking next week when his milk supply's cut off too - Milo went on for almost a day :roll:

I've just ordered 3 MORE cages - the man at the pet shop must think I'm mad :lol:

Don't hold your breath about not having to neuter there is always a chance that once his hormones kick in the the little lad might cause trouble.

They look very sweet togther though. :)

hi

thanks Tracy - I'll keep a stern eye on him :no:

it's the 2 boys above them that set them off at the moment - they do the chattering dance thing every morning - not sure why...maybe I'm about to be inundated with hormonal guinea pigs :roll:

I'm quite annoyed about Charlie pig's neuter now - she didn't use dissolvable stitches and didn't tell me he needed his stitches taking out, I only found out yesterday by chance - so now it's a fortnight since his op I'm worried they'll be buried in too deep :( :x

congrats on bonding the little piggies! i was going to get a baby rabbit and call it milo to bond with millie but now im getting bramble :lol: its my first time at bonding bunnies so that might be hard too :?

Elve the chattering thing is a dominence thing, do it to try to show who is boss, do they kind of shuffle about while they do it? You will probs see one hold its head above the other ones head too, again a way of saying I am boss, please submit

as for the stitches, thats terrible that they never said, hope they are still relativly easy to take out for the wee boy

hi

Ah I see - I bet that's why it sets Milo and Basil off then - when they hear the 2 boys in the cage above chattering they must think it's each other, so they both get started :roll:

Good luck with bonding your bunnies Amy - are they going to do the side by side living thing first or what? I failed with Benny and 5 girls at once but I'm sure one on one should be a bit easier - Hope so anyway as I'm supposed to be adopting Tansy now Angie's back from her hols! I bought a couple of 2x3 dog crates yesterday for them to live side by side until Tansy's spayed (a condition of the rescue even though Benny's been neutered for years) - When (if?? :? ) they are bonded they will be living in a shed on the patio...It has to be a shed rather than a hutch because (apart from keeping me dry when I'm feeding them in January :shock: ) the 5 girls start fighting whenever they see Benny - It's a real handbag bashing 'he's mine I saw him first' do :roll: :lol:

This place looks like animal farm at the moment - but it's only temporary, honest! 8)

im really not sure with the bonding thing (If i pass home check :oops:)
can i just put him straight in and if they fight remove bramble, or do i have to do the side by side thing???

hi

Cheryl's just put a really good thread in the care section called 'no nonsense bonding' - She believes it's best for both rabbits to be neutered first, so I guess it is best I have to get Tansy spayed, although I know lots of people pair up unspayed females with neutered males - I believe they can get a bit PMT ish from time to time - which makes the poor bloke's life hard :roll:

I'm dreading the spay far more than the bonding bit afterwards - might as well not bond them till she's done as they'll be split for a few days while she convalesces anyway. I need to get my 5 girls spayed really but I can't split them up for that long or they'll lose the bond I guess - complicated innit? :?

Back