• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

who doesnt vacinate on here?

I don't think Bramble and Thistle and Sharon and Ozzy are done, I think they may have had Mxy but not VHD.

Well it's not up to me because they are only my fosters, the lady at the rescue doesn't believe in female neuters either, so the three females are complete. I was going to sneak Bramble and Thistle in for a spay (Sharon is too old), but I've signed loads of forms, I don't want to get sued for messing around with her bunnies.

So far I have not had any of my 5 bunnies vaccinated, although they are all neutered. I live away from anywhere where wild rabbits would live and my bunnies never go to shows or meet other rabbits. Is vaccination essential in my case?

When I lived down on Salisbury Plain, with wild rabbits in my garden, my bunnies were all vaccinated.

Myxie can be transmitted via biting insects including mosquitos which means that most of our animals including indoor ones are at risk of infection.

VHD is a silent killer and can be transmitted via clothing and footware from one place to another, it causes sudden death usually within 24 hours, these deaths rarely get reported to vets so is difficult to know if it is a problem in any area. If you have not vaccinated and you get one infected it usually will wipe through the majority of your animals.

My two are house rabbits.. and so do not meet wild or any other rabbit. They get outside at my mum's garden maybe once or twice a year when i go there. I still have them both vaccinated tho... its a small price to pay to protect them from such horrid diseases.

i havent vaccinated millie yet but as soon as i get bramble (hopefully!) as soon as bramble needs jabs again i will get millie done too if you get what i mean :lol:

None of mine are, ive 85 and couldnt afford to. saying that i live in london and nowere near wild rabbits, ive never had a case except one rabbit and her young that were taken in with it.VHD would i know be easy to get because its air bourne , but has never occoured in london. I still recommend that everyone that takes a rabbit from rescue has them to be on the safe side. val

taylor v 109 said:
None of mine are, ive 85 and couldnt afford to. saying that i live in london and nowere near wild rabbits, ive never had a case except one rabbit and her young that were taken in with it.VHD would i know be easy to get because its air bourne , but has never occoured in london. I still recommend that everyone that takes a rabbit from rescue has them to be on the safe side. val

are you tellling us there are no wild rabbits running around greenwich park val! :shock:

Charlie is all done, Just awaiting to find out if the previous owner of Honey did, and when! If not i shall take her to get them done. Better safe than sorry!

i do all mine 6mounths for mexi yerly for vhd only becase mexi is making its way intoportsmouth and i couldent forgive my self if my babys got it

i could not settle if my pair weren,t done !! The price is so small considering what it would cost if they caught it or if I lost them . I,d never forgive myself !! :shock:

Coby is done, but I do sympathise with the rescues with huge amounts of bunnies not being able to, after all what good are jags to a bunny you cant afford to feed now that all the pennies have gone on jags. These rescues are really stuck in a very difficult situation, and money has to be spent where it is needed the most.

/

My buns are done..the rescue buns I now take in are vacs for Mxyi..like other rescues I cant afford both :( Myxi raises it's head all over the place and is a dreadful way for a bun to die, so I made the decision that jab was a must.

I don’t vaccinate any of my Rabbits with the conventional vaccines.

They are all on a homeopathic program.

My reasons for doing so are:

1) I don’t agree with testing on animals.

2) I’m not convinced the vaccinations are as reliable as there made out to be. I’ve heard of several cases this year alone of Rabbits getting Myximatosis and VHD when they have already been vaccinated. (Yes, I know they are not guaranteed 100% protection).

3) The conventional vaccines can cause side effects where as homeopathic ones have none.

I’m in no way saying you should not vaccinate your Rabbits. This is my own personal opinion and decision. I’ve thoroughly thought about it and researched it.

Louise

ellepotter said:
I don’t vaccinate any of my Rabbits with the conventional vaccines.

They are all on a homeopathic program.

My reasons for doing so are:

1) I don’t agree with testing on animals.

2) I’m not convinced the vaccinations are as reliable as there made out to be. I’ve heard of several cases this year alone of Rabbits getting Myximatosis and VHD when they have already been vaccinated. (Yes, I know they are not guaranteed 100% protection).

3) The conventional vaccines can cause side effects where as homeopathic ones have none.

I’m in no way saying you should not vaccinate your Rabbits. This is my own personal opinion and decision. I’ve thoroughly thought about it and researched it.

Louise

Like Louise, I use homeopathic myxi/VHD nosodes on the bunnies here. I have also heard of many cases around Norfolk of vaccinated bunnies getting myxi or VHD and feel that the homeopathic alternative is better for them. I do not discourage people to use conventional vaccines as I believe it is a personal choice as long as they have some form of protection.

Cheryl

I think I might research the homeopathic vaccines too. I don't now vaccinate any of my cats, as I have had a total of 3 in 5 years have adverse reactions to the vaccine ... one of them had a stroke shortly after the jab (ie within 30 minutes) and nearly died. The other 2 have a constant upper respiratory problem, which they can live with, but I would rather it hadn't happened!

Also a friend of mine had a 7 year old dog die of Parvo ... after being vaccinated every year for all its life.

Yes, I will certainly look into the homeo vaccines!

Back