• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas needed for crate floor

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
At the moment Skip lives in a dog crate. I felt mean leaving it as plastic flooring as he slips on it so i decided to cut up some carpet i had to the right size and put that on the plastic tray.

All ok until recently late at night my bfriend has told me he is ripping the carpet up and eating it!! :cry:

This i know can't be good for him but what else can i use on the floor which is safe for chewing or can't be chewed and is not too slippery?

I know lots of you have crates also and i need some advice as i'm worried about him getting ill from eating the carpet.

I put vetbed or blankets on the floor at the moment which my two dont really bother with. In the summer i put newspaper on the floor so that it was cooler. You could try those straw mats you can get? or lino maybe

One of mine has lino on the floor, and the other has vetbed. I tried mats, but they just get weed on :roll: The vetbed does too, but that is for Lace who can't manage a tray. So I just have to wash it frequently :?

I started off putting blankets in Charlie and Lavenders crate but they just piled it up in one corner and lay on the plastic. Now they have newspaper upstairs (to protect the wood a bit) and nothing downstairs. I've tried newspaper but they just pile that up in the corner too. They seem to like the plastic, they tend to lie on the small areas of laminate flooring that show in the lounge too rather than the carpet too. :shock:

hi

I've just bought my first (and last!) dog crates for Benny and Tansy when she comes - What a nightmare to put up :shock: I was so exhausted I left the floor bare - Benny can (and often does) sleep in his litter box full of hay if he doesn't like the floor - But at the mo he's stretched out on that hard cold metal looking very comfy :D

I hadn't thought about it being slippy - if it's plastic why not just sandpaper it lightly to take off the shine and give a bit of grip?

I have tried everything on the floor of Sophie's cage.. vetbed.. towels... straw mats... hay.. but she moves everything out of her way and likes to sleep on the bare floor!! :lol: :lol: :roll: She refuses to lie on anything!

He hates not having the carpet in there and just sits hunched up in his litter box. What a life of royalty bunny he is!!

Will have to try a vetbed but he seems to have gone into ripping mode.

Is it safe for them to rip up cardboard and paper? He seems to eat bits of whatever he rips up thats why i get worried

loopylop said:
I have tried everything on the floor of Sophie's cage.. vetbed.. towels... straw mats... hay.. but she moves everything out of her way and likes to sleep on the bare floor!! :lol: :lol: :roll: She refuses to lie on anything!

I'm soooo glad my bun isn't the only one then!! I felt really mean about the fact that he would just sleep on the plastic base!! :oops:

But my way around it was to get some of those sticky velcro pads (from wilko or something) I stuck one pad to the base of the cage, and one to the vet bed with the velcro bits towards each other and stuck it down, that way it can easily be removed by me to be cleaned, by my bun can't move it!!! :lol:

Back