• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedroom = Toilet?

chinakit

Warren Scout
Are my rabbits the only ones to use their bedroom area as a toilet?

I now don't put their hay in there, as it just gets 'weed' on, so I put it out in their living quarters, where they also sleep!

Weird rabbits or what :shock: :lol:

Nope,
Smokie did that too when she was in a hutch (going in the enclosed bit) and patch, my neighborus rabbit does it as well - maybe they want some privacy when they pee!
:wink:

Yes my rabbits use their bed area as a toilet. I got them a really large litter tray that covers the whole of the bed area and put newspaper and some hay on top. It makes it easy to clean out. They normally sleep in the open compartment of the hutch even when its freezing cold outside :roll:

Milo does that too. I know it's not just one particular side (ie. right or left) of a hutch that he chosses to use as a toilet, as when I give him a different hutch he will swap sides if the bedroom is on the other side. It's as though he likes the privacy.

The rabbit I had before Milo, Bella, did exactly the same thing too.

The only reason I have hutches in the bunny run is for them to sit on or under. The only time Ruby goes in is to dig out the bedding, Bobby never bothers. I think they like to see everything!

Estelle said:
Yes my rabbits use their bed area as a toilet. I got them a really large litter tray that covers the whole of the bed area and put newspaper and some hay on top. It makes it easy to clean out. They normally sleep in the open compartment of the hutch even when its freezing cold outside :roll:
Thats exactly what i had to do with darbys hutch although now shes in her winter wendy play house!

My rabbits are both exactly the same and I have also put in a large litter tray with newspaper and hay. The only time they will sleep in there is if it is really windy.

Jane

Does Simba do it also as he always kept his bedroom really clean and the living area always looked like a bomb had it and he always did everything in the living bit.

This is a big problem for me with the Rabsville Rabs.

Their sleeping area is under a shelf, I was going to make this nice and cosy with a lage box of straw and hay but the Rabs decided to wee in one corner so.... I put their litter tray in one corner (the wee corner) and used a smaller box for cosy bedding. They do use their litter tray but they are still using the bedding box too.
This means everyday I have to replace the bedding box and its costing a fortune in straw (theyre eating the hay which is fine).

Any ideas would be appreciated.
By the way it doesnt matter where the bedding box is placed ey still wee in it.

Rabswood :roll:

Yeah, Dandi does that all the time! The annoying thing is that I put loads of bedding where she does her buisness (to soak it all up) and then she ends up kicking most of it all out and into the other part, so you end up with her peeing on the wood :roll:

I think the problem is you need to sit down with your rabbits and explain which bit is the bed. Just because you've declared that bit the bed doesn't mean the rabbits came to the same conclusion. They can be pretty stubborn too ;)

Put a litter tray (with a bit of hay) in the corner they've decided is the toilet corner (corner litter trays are good if there isn't much room in the 'bed area').

Put the bedding somewhere else. If you're worried about them keeping warm then put a cardboard box in the non toilet area with the bedding in. If your delightful bunny is fond of cardboard (either for weeing or eating) then use a plastic storage box instead.

A 4" tall stripe of perspex along the bottom of the 'living' area mesh is handy if the bedding goes everywhere.

Glueing lino over the floor will help with cleaning up accidents.

Bare in mind two bunnies can equal two toilet corners which makes things even more fun :lol:

Tamsin

Ruby will happily use the litter tray as her toilet but only AFTER she's dug out all of the straw, and the newspaper used to line it. Lovely!

kayj said:
Does Simba do it also as he always kept his bedroom really clean and the living area always looked like a bomb had it and he always did everything in the living bit.

Yes, Simba does it too, although he is not as bad as the others. He at least keeps it fairly tidy in there. The others dig everything out of the bedfoom (toilet?) before weeing and pooing in there. I am going to get some litter trays as suggested, at least they will be easier to clean then!

I really don't mind about this, their hutches are their own homes and they can 'decorate' how they wish!

By the way, Kay, Dot is bringing Venus up to meet Simba tomorrow to see if she likes him, if they get on ok, she will stay here with me, although will still be Dot's rabbit ... Dot is worried that she needs bunny company. Will let you know how it goes.

Jane xx

Just be careful introducing Venus to Simba as when I introduced her to Smudge she had a go at him to a fine tune and had to seperate them immediately.

My Rabbits have always used theirs as a toilet! After destroying their beds so many times Ive now replaced it with a cat litter tray with wood pellets in! They use it like a cat would and its so easy to clean out!

Back