• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

teeth problems and weight loss

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi guys back in august i took damaskinos to the vets for jabs and the vets said his back teeth were dying :cry: and that he wouldf need them out soon, he said i would know when he starts dribbling.

well he is not started dribbling but he is losing weight :cry: he is still eating and drinking so why would he be losing weight?

also my vet is not back until tuesday of next week, i have more confidence in him than the others, do you think i can waait until then or should book him in now?

also has anyone any experience with tooth removal? do they grow back are there any risks ect..... i would hate to lose my boy!

eve x

I don't wish to panic you but our first guinea pig many years ago eveloped problems with his back teeth, they began to grow the wrong way and he began losing weight. Unfortunately as he was our first we were quite inexperienced and by the time the vet pinpointed the problem Goldie was so weak that he didn't survive the anaesthetic for the operation he needed. But it was different to your case in that Goldie stopped eating and we had to soften his food for him etc, but if you are worried maybe you can go and see your locum vet now and still book an appointment for your preferred vet when he gets back of holiday.

I'm sure my vet thinks I'm a pest but my motto is if in doubt check it out!

you have worried me and i have booked an appiontment fior tommorrow but if anyone does know anything about the repercussions of teeth dentals please let me know

thanks eve x

Hi Eve - it's actually better if the teeth that are being removed are dead or dying as it is far easier - to remove a live tooth is really a no-no for buns.
We have had a few buns who have had teeth removed - some have gone in for a dental and come out minus a few back teeth and have also been found to have lost some by themselves :?
I would try to get Dami booked in for a proper dental check when your vet feels it is necessary.
As to the weight loss - it could be due to the teeth but it could also be any number of things. Is he eating all his food as normal? Is he leaving any or being fussy with some? Have you checked to see if he has pin worms? If so, a course of Panacur would be needed.
Is Dami drinking or urinating more than normal? This could point to kidney problems. Blood tests would be needed here along with a thorough examination.
Dami could have Ec - this is one of the signs - weight loss.
Is the weight loss sudden? If so then a vet would need to do tests asap to see what is going on.
In the meantime, offer Dami porridge oats and a couple of peanuts - also let him have a bit of weetabix and maybe some baby food to lap at. These will help maintain his weight - some of ours with weight problems are also on Burgess Junior and Dwarf as that helps them too.
Healing vibes being sent to Dami :D

Jaypot said:
Hi Eve - it's actually better if the teeth that are being removed are dead or dying as it is far easier - to remove a live tooth is really a no-no for buns.
We have had a few buns who have had teeth removed - some have gone in for a dental and come out minus a few back teeth and have also been found to have lost some by themselves :?
I would try to get Dami booked in for a proper dental check when your vet feels it is necessary.
As to the weight loss - it could be due to the teeth but it could also be any number of things. Is he eating all his food as normal? Is he leaving any or being fussy with some? Have you checked to see if he has pin worms? If so, a course of Panacur would be needed.
Is Dami drinking or urinating more than normal? This could point to kidney problems. Blood tests would be needed here along with a thorough examination.
Dami could have Ec - this is one of the signs - weight loss.
Is the weight loss sudden? If so then a vet would need to do tests asap to see what is going on.
In the meantime, offer Dami porridge oats and a couple of peanuts - also let him have a bit of weetabix and maybe some baby food to lap at. These will help maintain his weight - some of ours with weight problems are also on Burgess Junior and Dwarf as that helps them too.
Healing vibes being sent to Dami :D

hi jay thwe weight loss seems like it has been over the last couple of weeks maybe, as for urinating alot and as being fussy, fussy over food is not damaskinos hes a pig and even sounds like a pig when eating (snorts) but he does live with 5 other buns so it is hard to tell about how much he is eating and urinating and drinking!

burgress is no good for him it as he gets sgoggy poos.

pins worms how would i know! could the teeth dyingbe the cause of the weight lose!

eve x

eve x

Maybe he isn't eating as much as he was. You could try feeding him seperately so you can see how much food he is getting. Phoebe had her teeth checked on Monday and also has a problem with her back teeth not aligned properly and has to have them filed down. I'm also very worried about her so know how you feel :(

Please do get it checked out.
I lost my Smudgy to stomach cancer yesterday.
All the warning signs where their, such as rapid weight loss despite a healthy appetite. Unfortunately for my little darling it was in a place that was hard to detect until it was that big nothing could be done for him.

Fingers crossed for you its just the teeth at the centre of the problem.

Back