• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blind Rabbit????

hello everyone.
Strange Question.. but does anyone know of any tests that can be carried out to test for blindness in a rabbit???? :?:

Not sure but I know someone in the States who has a blind rabbit and she found this out recently from her vet. So there must be. Why, do you think your rabbit is blind? I would talk to your vet. b-m

Blind Rabbits

Hi, one of my 32 'special needs'rabbits is blind. If your vet examines your buns Retina (back of the eyes) using an opthalmascope vet will see if the Retina has a healthy supply of blood vessels. A blind bun is likely to have very abnormal Retina. Also, do buns pupils (centre of the eyes) contract in response to a small torch being directed into them? My bun was 'unwanted' cos she was apparently aggressive. No one realised she was blind, not even the vet who spayed/vaccinated her!! But she was obviously born blind and has learned how to cope. All buns have poor near sight but,normally, good long sight. Thats why you will see buns 'scanning' a new/strange near object (ie bun moves head up and down) this has the effect of the bun seeing the near object as moving and therefore easier to identify. Phew, that was a bit long winded but hope it helps!! J and the 32 SNBs (Special Needs Buns) !

Whispy doesn't seem able to find where his food bowl is unless i shake it then he follows where the sound is coming from, rather than seeing where i have put it. If i just put it down a little way infront of him he can smell it no problem but has to look about for it for a long time before he smells where it is. Same with little pieces of brocolli (which he loves).

It could just be me being overprotective but.. our other little bun sees her food coming before it's even down for her to eat n she goes straight to eat it from her bowl.

Whispy does have a little scar on one of his eye lids( would you call it an eyelid? the skin surrounding his eye?) which i can only assume happened when he was a baby.

That does sound like he may have problem with his sight my guys can spot me coming with their food across the garden even though they know it is going to their sheds in the garage they still follow me across the garden along the length of their runs.

I would def recommend having him checked out by a vet more than likely it isn't something you can treat but at least it may be confirmed and you will be able to plan around it.

Keeping things like litter trays and hidey-holes in the same place will help, try not to move large objects in his home environment. It will make it easier for him to avoid running into things if he can get a clear mental picture of the layout in his head.

Caz

Poor little lad. It's so sad to think he might not be able to see, so at least if we knew for sure we could, like you say Caz, adjust to suit his needs.
It could be in just one eye because he doesn't bump into anything as such.. unless he has just learned to adjust?? :cry:

Could also explain why he is very nervous of sounds around the house in general (plastic bags, opening drinks cans) becuase he can't see what is making the sound perhaps?? Little Lil doesn't flinch at anything and she's only 6 weeks old! x

Thanks JCO, just read your response again today (it kinda went over my head when i had a sneeky look at work yesterday. Naughty).

32 SNB's! That's so cool! :) x

Back