• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neighbour's rabbit Updated

hannah

Alpha Buck
My neighbour has gone on holiday and I volunteered to look after her rabbit for the week. I had an inkling that he wasnt well looked after, given that he lives in a hutch in a shed and is hardly ever let out to run about. I went in to see him after I got back from work and he is in a right state: his hutch is soaked wet and when i started to clean it out there is allsorts of old muck in there, they left me very little hay so have had to nick some of smokie's as my neighbour doesnt use any other bedding other than newspaper and hay. Not only this he has malted and all his old fur is still showing down the middle of his body, a bit like a mohican (as given that he spends most of his time in the hutch he is too fat to get to it i guess). He was petrified at first but came round to me when i gave him some greens and an exel treat stick, i can tell he wants to be friendly but is scared of human contact. I let him out to run about and he didnt know what to do!

I dont know what to do, dont want to report her to RSPCA as she will know its me and we are good friends plus dont want neighbour dispute as have a very stressful job and dont need the grief. I have tried talking to her before about the rabbit and even offered to take on looking after him, but she isnt interested. Would appreciate any ideas on how to broach the subject when she gets back, as I dont think I can let it go on - all I can do is look after him well this week and hope it isnt in vain.

aawww thats so sad.. poor bunny. I hope you can do something to help. Maybe you could suggest having him again? Another thing people have suggested on here before is to leave leaflets about rabbit care but not sure that this person would read it. Its always difficult when you know the person. Hopefully someone will come up with a good idea.

Without sounding too harsh here, say that the rabbit died, but really keep hold of it / give it to a rescue. She might be upset at first but she won't blame you and it won't cause any stress in the long run. It can't carry on living like that.

Good luck.

AMETHYST

dont think i could say that it had died, despite the way he is treated he doesnt seem in that bad health suprisingly, just mentally he is a wreck. Dont think i would be able to pull it off and i wouldnt be able to keep him - we have communal gardens

i don't get why she doesn't want you to take him off her hands, when she doesn't seem to care about him one way or another :? :?:

Perhaps play on the idea that uve fallen in love with him and lay it on every time you see her , she may think in the end well why not? :idea:

I can understand that you don't want to fall out with your neighbour or want any stress but think of this poor bunny's quality of life, it breaks my heart to think of him spending the rest of his days like that and never knowing a loving home.

If I knew this person well then I would speak to them and begin by saying that you know they love their rabbit but do they realise all the care that is involved aoffer advice and help but if this doesn't go down well I'm afraid i would have to tell them that unless they improved the bunny's situation I would be calling the RSPCA.

I don't think you can just leave this.

i agree with smash1, i guess u just have to decide which is more important to you.. the friendship with your neighbour or the little bun.

Good luck i hope the situation rights itself soon

this is really difficult. Could you tell your neighbour when she returns that you've really bonded with him and would she mind if you spent time with him as you love him to bits etc. etc. This way you could let him have a run around, provide him hay and treats without jeopardising your relationship.

Unless the rabbit is in bad physical shape or the owner wants to hand him over then there is nothing the rspca can do.

How about suggesting that you split a bale of hay between you. Hay bales are only £3-4 each but there is too much for one bunny. If you share it between you it will save both of you money and mean that the bun has a plentiful supply of hay.

You could suggest the same with straw or whatever other bedding you use, buy in bulk and share it between you. That way the bun gets the benefit and you get savings so it will sound like a good idea to your friend.

If your garden are shared then maybe you could talk them into using their shed to store them in so you have to go in each day to get the bits for your bun and can check on theirs.

Are you a member of the RWA? They do a nice range of leaflets and will send you free copies if you ask. You could share these with your friend. The one on diet might be particularly helpful.

Does your friend like shopping? How about an evening in browsing the online bunny stores. She might decide to buy her bun some too and if not give her one for Christmas. My bunnies treatball was part of my Christmas present ;) If you buy plastic toys these could be washed and switched between bunnies - tell your friend that bunnies like new toys so by switching them it will stop your rabbit getting bored.

I really recommend treatballs as they help with the over weight issue.

People don't like being told they are wrong but if you can show the the right way to do something by example then you can change thinngs without falling out with your friend :)

Best wishes,
Tamsin

f you camunal garden and your bun has a run then tell her that you had put her bun in the run and he really enjoyed it, so she could get a run and put it next to yours and you don't mind putting out in it when you put yours in it.

right,have texted her to see if she minds me putting him in my shed in smokies old hutch - as he is about 5 feet in the air with his hutch bolted onto the wall. have said that was difficult to see to him and he kept trying to jump out, when she gets back am going to ask her if she wants me to take care of him and she can see him as much as she wants, am going to say was eventually going to get smokie a friend anyway. One question smokie is a girl, and if he is in the hutch and she is out in the garden is it ok for smokie to look/smell him through the hutch bars - she is too young to be spayed at the mo and he clearly isnt neutered, then i could say they bonded and he can have a bit of bunny contact also. I wouldnt put them out together obviously

They should be fine to see and smell each other, just don't let them run around together.

You've got a good plan there, and Tamsin's given some fabulous advice

Image0191.jpg

This is patch in my spare hutch hes such a sweetie, and smokie seems to like him too - have a pic of them together will upload later as phone has died

Neighbours rabbit Update

Patch is now a house rabbit and gets a lot more attention in his brand new home. Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions, I think when she realised that he could be lovable and needed a better life it gave her a bit of a reality check. He is know working his way at turning her beige carpet bunny yellow!

:lol:

Back