• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

shaved area not growing back

bunnies

Alpha Buck
Bracken had an ear infection 5/6 weeks ago and the vet shaved an area on his back between his shoulders so i could inject him easier.

But this area shows no sign of growing back its still bald!!!! any suggestions on this?

He has completley recovered and doing well

Unlike humans rabbits hair doesn't grow constantly. He might not get new fur there until after his next moult. It seems to depend with bunnies - sometimes it grows back really quickly others it takes months! It will grow back eventually though :D

Tam

post subject

Oh dear!!!!!

What will he do if it doesn`t grow before winter????? Not to sure if he`d be happy in a scarf.

Beebie would eat it.

:lol:

Is it a big area? I wouldn't have thought it would cause too much trouble so long as you give them plenty of beding. His friend should help keep him warm too.

It's usually about this time of year they have a big moult so hopefully he'll replace it soon.

Tam

i noticed this too, i had to cut a couple of wood shavings outof tobey's mane once about 3 weeks ago and the short bits of hair left still haven;t grown at all! needless to say i don't use wood shavings anymore :shock:

Darby had a patch shaved on her leg when the vet needed to take blood in june and it still hasn't fully grown back. Don't worry it just seems to take a while x

i had a bunny who had her ears shaved once cause thet vet need a blood test and hers took forever to grow back and ended up puting sunblock on hers, in fact hers never grew back because she died but this was months after the blood test

Back