• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Been spayed and Laminate Flooring?

She's been a little star so far and has had both sets of injections without so much as an unhappy grunt. She went to the vets yesterday to get spayed, but as they were busy she wasn't operated on until about 3pm, so they wanted to keep her in overnight to monitor her while the anesthetic wears off. I'll hopefully be picking her up first thing this morning.

Should I take any precautions while she recovers from her operation? How long will it take her to make a full recovery? I'm assuming I shouldn't pick her up until the stitches come out?

Also, what are the general feelings on laminate flooring? We have it in our livingroom and kitchen where Florence seems to spend most of her time. When she's let out of her house, she mostly gets the run of the livingroom and hallway (and the garden if the weather's nice enough), plus we'd let her onto the upstairs landing if she wanted to, but so far hasn't gone past the 5th step. I'd prefer her to use the hallway and upstairs landing more, as it's carpeted and she can run around a lot better on that surface, whereas she seems to prefer running (not very fast as it's too slippy) around on the laminate floor. Is this normal and are there any risks (apart from when someone knocked loudly at the door and she bolted for the door, but lost grip and slid sideways into the sofa) ?

florence_vets1.jpg

Here she is with her little purple collar on :lol:
(taken on my mobile phone while visiting her at the vets yesterday evening, which is why it's bad quality)

it will take about 3 days for her to fell a bit more happy 7 to 10 days for the stiches to come out i put mine in a cage with a blanket towl or pet bed you can pick her up to look under her evrey day some buns wont drink out of a bottle for the first few days so a bowl placed right next to her is good i also keep mine in the house for the 10 days after

Putting rugs or carpet squares down on laminate flooring is good so the can jump to nd from them or use them as resting places without slipping up

we have laminate in the living room, Dasiy was spayed last week, and after the first night she cam out of the cage and wandered around quite happily, the floor didnt bother her. I kept her inside until she was eating and drinkin normlly, which was 3 nights

To cause them less stress, as long as the weather is not too cold put them back into the enviroment where they normally live. She will probably have a couple of quiet days and then start to return to her normal self.

Give them something soft to lie on like an old towel or vet bed, shavings can occassional get stuck on the wound. Most vets now use an invisible continuous disolvable stitch and glue on the wound. You must pick her up at least twice each day to check that the wound is healing. Give lots of titbits of food to encourage her to start eating as soon as possible, do monitor her intake and output.

Janice

She's back... grumpy!

Well, she seems fine, although a little grumpy.

We actually decided to bring her indoors a week before she went to get spayed as we thought it would be better to keep her indoors while she recovered, and at least with the week she's spent in the livingroom she should be familiar with it. She's now in a large cage with her towel, toys and some dandelion treats.

I'll have to put some water out in a bowl for her, but otherwise she seems fairly happy being back home. She hasn't started to eat yet, but the vet said it's nothing to worry about, unless she's still not eating tomorrow.

She's got to go back in 10 days to get her stitches taken out, so I guess I'll just pamper her with treats today to try and get her to eat :)

its not advised to have a bun in a coller as they cant eat the poos they are suposed to and it bothers them mine dident have one and was fine with her stiches

Yes, she only had the collar on while she stayed at the vets overnight. When I picked her up this morning she was without the collar and seemed much happier.

I had a meeting this morning, so didn't have much time to spend with her, but I've just given her a run about for an hour and she seems to be getting back to her usual mischievous ways (trying to get on the coffee table, behind the tv and pretty much anywhere she's not allowed!). She's also started eating a bit too, although at the moment it's only a bit of hay and some yoghurt drops, but hopefully she'll start eating her pellets. I've also not seen her drink yet, but she's got a bowl of water and a water bottle, so hopefully she'll take a drink soon.

Back