• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should he be neutered now at 4 months?

Rex Rabbity

Warren Scout
Our Rex rabbit Flopsy is now 4 months old. So far, we could not ask for a better pet. He has such a great temperament. He is more like a soppy dog than a rabbit! He licks you all the time, will come to you when you call him and does not mind being handled (usually!). He is very clean and well behaved indoors too. He is well looked after though, with a good diet and comfy clean, spacious living conditions. He is handled daily, but not excessively.

He has a decent sized run outside with his hutch situated in the shed for extra security and comfort in the winter. They are linked via a tunnel, with a lockable cat flap so he can use the run anytime throughout the day. He seems to be a happy rabbit so far.

My daughter wants him to have a girlfriend, so I have just finished building another large hutch, which sits on top of Flopsy's hutch and is linked with a ladder. The hutches can easily be isolated for introduction purposes.

The thing is, he is so well behaved at the moment that we are unsure whether or not to wait a while before neutering and introducing another rabbit. I hear lots of horror stories of hormonal males becoming aggressive without being neutered, but it seems hard to imagine with Flopsy! He will obviously need to be neutered before we bring in a female, but if we do it now, will it change his behaviour? Also, will introducing another rabbit make his behaviour towards us change for the worse? I have recently considered leaving him as a lone rabbit and letting him have the two hutches for himself and neutering him if he becomes aggressive. I can't decide what to do for the best!

flopsy.gif

hi

have his testicles appeared yet? I would be wondering just like you are - if it ain't broke, don't fix it? :)

If he is fine atm I would wait. The longer he has his hormones to help with his growth the better. Vets near here won't do it before 5 months anyway. It would probably be fine to do it now, but if you don't have an urgent reason you may as well wait.

Wait longer there is no rush if is a friendly bunny, males dont normaly change when they get to maturity, if hes that friendly hell stay like that.Just remmember to wait about three weeks after the op when you have it done before introducing him to a girlfriend. val

Back