• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help maybe pausterella (sp) if so where from! update!!!!!!!

willow

Warren Scout
Orio has had a slight cough/sneeze for a few weeks and i just wanted to leave him a little bit to see if it got any worse, and i think it has and now i think Pepper has got it too. She has only done it once that i have seen. I would really like some advise on what anyone thinks it is. I am going to take them both to the vet as soon as i can, but i would like to have some idea of what the problem maybe.

They are both moulting really bad at the moment and i was just wondering if that could be a problem too.

Please help thanks!!!

No i dont use sawdust but i do use straw in their litter trays, most of the time they are on carpet in their bedroom. :D

It needs to see a vet. He probably needs antibiotics and if she has caught it from him then she'll probably need them too. Respiritary infections can get nasty so better get it treated sooner rather than later. Rabbits don't catch colds like humans.

Tam

Just wondering where they may have picked up an infection from. I dont have any other contact with other rabbits and neither do they. Is it something they can just contract. If so that is really worrying :!: :!:

Rabbits can carry the pasturella virus without it affecting them; I believe some studies suggest that most rabbits carry it, it just doesn't affect them all. A change of circumstances/ stress - maybe your rabbit moulting - can make the pasturella visible, i.e sneezing and discharge from eyes and nose. The rabbits could have been carrying it the whole time you have had them, they didn't necessarily just catch it.

Good luck at the vets, let us know how you get on! :D

kate said:
Rabbits can carry the pasturella virus without it affecting them; I believe some studies suggest that most rabbits carry it, it just doesn't affect them all. A change of circumstances/ stress - maybe your rabbit moulting - can make the pasturella visible, i.e sneezing and discharge from eyes and nose. The rabbits could have been carrying it the whole time you have had them, they didn't necessarily just catch it.

Good luck at the vets, let us know how you get on! :D

This is right except that pasturella is a bacterium, not a virus :D

moulting badly could have made it start as rabbits are a bit under par when they go into a moult. I fermely believe that the probable cause would have been one og there parents had it .baby rabbits that are born to pasturela parents WILL eventualy come down with it. The vet is a good idea just to be sure.If it is you will be treating this for the rest of there lives. follow your vets advise but i wouldnt keep giving them batril untill they have a bad bout of it.Whot usualy happens is they will have a flare up and will be very snoty and chesty and then they will need treatment. After they get better they still may sneeze and have a bit of a wet nose but i would keep the batril till they need it.There is a chance that they will become used to the batril and when you rearly need it it wont work as well . val

willow said:
No i dont use sawdust but i do use straw in their litter trays, most of the time they are on carpet in their bedroom. :D

In their bedroom!!! :lol: :lol:

Hope they get rid of the sniffles xx

They have been to the vet and he gave them some Baytril. He listened to their chests and looked at their noses and said that they def had some bacteria. Pepper was worse than Orio and i thought it was the other way around :shock: :shock: :shock: .

They have been in good spirits since i have been back and they are up in their bedroom ( yes a bedroom :lol: :lol: :lol: ) filling their faces with carrots and greens. I have had binkies out of Orio and he is normally a big grump. Pepper is being a bit off, but thats just cos the nasty vet man stuck a needle in her and picked her up. She's ok cos she is still eating what i give her even if she's not my friend :lol: :lol: :shock:

Thank you for all your advice, and i didnt know that once they suffer they always suffer, my poor little bunny wabbits :cry: :cry: :cry:

Back