• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mice

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
I went to get some pet cleaning wipes from my garage yesterday and found they'd been half eaten by mice, do I neede to be overly concerned. I threw the wipes away but if they are in the cleaning stuff they are in my bails of hay and my animal food? Can they endanger my bunnies?

I don't think so. There are often mice around our rabbit run - no way of keeping them out. I do try and keep them off the food and hay in the garage though, by keeping everything sealed in plastic bins.

Covering the food is easy but my bails of hay are going to be hard to make mice proof, the little sods had eaten loads of my pet wipes.

You wonder what's tasty about pet wipes when there's a big bale of hay there :shock: :D

hi

probably the alcohol - hic - a lot of drunk mice coming to your shed for a top up tonight :wink:

I keep my food stuff in plastic rubbish bins(clean ones!!!) & the hay & straw is left uncovered. The mice don't bother coming in as there is no food, so once all tasty food is out of their way they should start coming less & less...

Re: hi

elve said:
probably the alcohol - hic - a lot of drunk mice coming to your shed for a top up tonight :wink:

:lol: :lol: can you imagine these tiny drunk mice swaying around the room :lol:

hi tree,
iv had mice probs they r *******
u do need to get rid of them asap
if the get into your food bags and wee in ther iv heard their unrine can kill small rabbits i ended up throwing over 1/2 a sack of food away before when i found a mouse in there, they destroy every thing also they carry loads of diseases so u wouldnt want them by ur rabbits
iv had the friendly traps but not always sucessful and do have to release then quite far away or they will come back
we have also used posion but the one we have takes 10 days for the mouse to die
becky

If you have the room big plastic weelie bins might make good hay stores if the bails are too big for storage boxes.

Tam

Thanks for you help guys, there is no way I would kill them, but I will hide my wheelie bins in the garage and ring the council and say they are stolen so I can have two more :lol:

mice

Hi soad :) mice carry salmonella & also pastruella infectons so I would try to make sure that your feed is covered (I keep all my feed in either plastic bins or with hay in plastic bags) if you want to catch them you could try a humane trap as like you i could not kill anything :( I have just bought one from the trap man (www.the trap-man) or i think you can get them from ebay good luck love from shan. XXX

mice

Hey birdiebun :) you wouldn,t say that if you had a pussy that "collected" them & brought them home for you :( very kindly letting them go indoors so you end up chasing them around & end up being infested with the little cute beady eyed creatures :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You rearly should get them out or you will be over run with them and if they go to your neighbours your in big trouble. If you wont put poison down then get the humane traps.When i changed over to a complete food i stoped getting mice because it was not as attractive to them. Now i very rarley get them but i do have poison down all the time as i have had meger problems with my neighbours and cannot be seen to have rodents.Hay and straw is not whats attracting them, but take note that the enviromental heath people think that using straw will attract rats. :roll: val

taylor v 109 said:
You rearly should get them out or you will be over run with them and if they go to your neighbours your in big trouble. If you wont put poison down then get the humane traps.When i changed over to a complete food i stoped getting mice because it was not as attractive to them. Now i very rarley get them but i do have poison down all the time as i have had meger problems with my neighbours and cannot be seen to have rodents.Hay and straw is not whats attracting them, but take note that the enviromental heath people think that using straw will attract rats. :roll: val

Tree wont put poison down no way! I wouldnt either :(

I would also agree that you need to get rid of them, if you keep other things in the garage they are at risk of getting eaten. If the house is connected to the garage you are also at risk of getting them in your loft space as well, if you are joined to another property they will also travel from loft to loft if there are tiny holes between them which is not good for neighbourly relations.

During the summer I found mice in my garage, I have tried two types of live traps and they basically provide the mice with another food supply! The mice have been pretty destructive and have eaten wire cables and lots of other things they fancy to make nests out of. I have now removed all food from the garage and it is in the guinea pig shed in some large stackable white containers from ikea. The hay is in something a little bit like this which can easily be sealed to prevent them getting in to it. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...ngs>C$cip=28951.Plastic+sheds+and+storage.htm

Janice

Thanks for your help guys, I will pop inoto a diy store on the way home and get some humane traps.

Back