• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stupid question, re glands

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry, stupid question and maybe Phil can answer this, but I don't know where the anal glands are on female bunnies? I check there bums and the lady bits and the lads have got those slity things that smell, but where else am I suppse to be checking. I'm panicking again about flystryke. Sorry not meaning to be insensitive, I just think I'm not checking all areas properly?

:D

The ladys bits are in the same place as the boys but they are slightly more hiden under there privets

Do I need to be cleaning them with cotten buds, also what about the bunnies that wont let me handle them?

Technically you shouldn't have to clean them out but on occasion you do! I do mine once a year before summer starts just to be on the safe side (look where that got me). and just do them with a cotton bud and some warm water then dab a little baby oil on afterwards! But do it outside cause otherwise you'll be sick!

Phill said:
But do it outside cause otherwise you'll be sick!
:lol: :lol: .

Can I leave them or do they really need to be done? I had never thought about this until, this happened to your Agi :(

females have them too tree and boy i can still smell it for hours after even though i wash my hands numerous times after (its rank!)) but then i have to do 18 bums! :shock:

Just have a quick check if they are blocked or have little black gritty bits in then you will need to give them a quick clean but otherwise just leave them, the buns will usually just clean them themselves.

If your panicking now tree can you imagine what im like! I would have never thought of looking there for eggs and look where it got me!

SOAD said:
Phill said:
But do it outside cause otherwise you'll be sick!
:lol: :lol: .

Can I leave them or do they really need to be done? I had never thought about this until, this happened to your Agi :(

I do not think the eggs ever get layed in the glands (but please someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Whenever we found eggs on Mishka, it was always low on her back end under her tail area, but they were near enough on the surface of the fur, and fairly easy to spot with careful examination (including the inside of her legs.

It is only when they hatch that the maggots head inwards towards the glands. Mishka had them in her "slitty bits" once, but by that time they were maggots, not eggs (although only extremely tiny).

We would check Mishka's glands daily after that due to her high risk, but we never did with Flump or Sparkle - just an exterior furr check.

And what's with all the moaning? They don't smell THAT bad ;):D