• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight Loss - Lavenders been to the vets

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Hi Guys

Lavender has lost a little weight this week and it's very noticable im taking her to the vet tommorow but i wondered if anyone had any ideas. She acting narmaly eating a pooing well. im a bit stuck, i did think maybe worms but i can't think of where she would have picked them p as she hasn't been out of her run and the rest of the gang are fine.

thats strange phill as the usual culprit is teeth . It could be a liver/kidney infection and the first symptom is usually weight loss . Cazza has a book that i gave her - the a to z bunnlopedia and it lists all the ailiments and symptoms . I had to give her it as I was turning into a hypocondriac (sp?) owner thinking cheekybun had everything !! :shock: Ask her to take a look but I do recall seeing something about liver enzymes and it also lists the treatments for it . :D
I suppose you won,t really know until you have been to the vets with her tho . good luck . xx

Thanks for that Gina i have a rabbit medicine book i'll have a wee look through that later on XX

Awwww Phil - Little Lavender Minx - just what is she like eh :roll:

Weight loss is a real difficult one as most of the time its a kinda process of sorting out just whats causing the problem. I think unless its obvious - i.e teeth problems then it can be down to Xrays and Blood tests to see if they reveal anything. Buffs has had this kinda problem for a couple of years now - she's fine one minute and then her weight can suddenly drop for what seems like no reason.

Buffs is on a constant diet of oats and babyfood for breaky with just a table spoon of SS and then SS and fresh herbs for tea - when her weight drops I also give her Science Recovery which has extra Fibre and Vits etc and a mash of Swede, potatoes and SS and so far :roll: :roll: this seems to be working. Adele and me have always thought that maybe she has an underlying EC prob but certainly with Lavender the Worm route may be worth persuing too.

Sending your wee girl a snuggle X

Right my mums just weighed lavender she's three and a half kilos she was somwhere just under 4. I have now got to look after my grandad tonight so can't get to the vets but do you think i should get her checked out or just keep and eye on her??

Ok i have just spoken to Andy at the vets and he would like to see her as there may be a) a liver parasite that they can get b) Cancer (really hope not) c) teeth!!!!! Yikes im gonna try and get her down tonight but i have to look after my grandad so may not be able to if not she will go down tommorow XX

Ok Lavender has been to the vets tonight and they are a little puzzled! There could be one of three things wrong with her.
1) Pasturella, as her chest is sounding girgely
2) Renal Failure
3) Some kind of Liver parasite for which there is no cure!!!!

The up side is she hasnt got cancer or not that the vet could feel anyway. She on a ten day course of baytril constant pellets and hay and a stint in the house so that she doesn't have to fight to keep warm as she really has got thin.

So we need all good healing vibes and a prair that it's number 1 and neither of the other two i really don't think i could bare to loose my little girl XX

phill , cheeky used to lose weight when his pasturella really played up so I does sound exactly like what happened to him ... i hope thats all it is too . Healing vibes for bonny lavender . xx

awwwww Phill, I am so sorry to hear about Lavender, I wonder if the loss of Agi is also a contributing factor. Take care and thinking of you all give them all a hug from me & davidxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks guys

gina paul said:
phill , cheeky used to lose weight when his pasturella really played up so I does sound exactly like what happened to him ... i hope thats all it is too . Healing vibes for bonny lavender . xx

The thing i don't get Gina is she has no snotty nose or runny eyes and she isn't wheezing er chest just sounds girgely

it could still be snuffles phill . Cheeky took it in his nasal tract and sinuses but some rabbits get it at another site , i,e chest , reproductive system etc . I have to agree that the most common sign is the runny nose etc but after speaking with a few vets I discovered this .
Cheeky didn,t always have a runny nose , at times it would flare up and he would just seem really down and lose weight . It was then we realised it was in his chest .

Thanks guys im kinda worried this morning though as she hasn't eaten al night! I left her a bowl of pellets a box of treats (which she normally loves) Hay and a big bit of cabbage and she hasn't touched any of it! My mums keeping an eye on her today and will squish some SR down her if she hasn't eaten by lunch time X

Back