• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has Dandi got fleas?

Charlie

Young Bun
Lately, when I've been to see Dandi, I've noticed that a lot of her fur is coming out.
Just now, my dad and I gave her a good groom and loads more fur came out (we got covered in the process! :wink: ). We also noticed that she had lots of tiny white specks in her coat, which we thought was fleas or something like dandruff, so my dad put some rabbit flea and mange powder on and we're hoping that might work.
Does anyone suspect what she might have from what i've told you?

She could be going through a big moult, where big tufts of fur will be loose and come free when you tug on them gently. Has she got any bald or sore patches, or any kind of scabs?

No, I've looked and she hasn't got any scabs. I don't think there were any bald parts either, although I could see without touching, clumps of loose fur which were obviously going to come out.
Do you think I should keep on brushing her until the fur stops coming out as much?

You saying there is dandruff though sounds 99% like mites. Keep brushing as it will stop her ingesting the fur but she definitley needs an injection.

Charlie said:
Does anyone suspect what she might have from what i've told you?

She may just be moulting heavily and the white specs are dry skins, or she may have mites. Is she scratching at all or pulling her fur out, as this would also indicate mites. Normally mites will cause bald patches and areas of dry flakey skin that you can see if you part the fur - epecially just above the tail.

I'd take her to the vets if I was you, if she has mites they won't go away on their own and she'll start to be uncomfortable, plus its best to catch it early. As someone said above mites are treated with a course of injections.

I also agree that brushing is a good idea, if you don't get the fur off her then she'll do it herself and ingest it. When my two are moulting badly I tend to 'pluck' the loose stuff out and then brush.

Squidgy has this occasionally, like dandruff around his tail. I took him to the vets who said it definitely wasn't mites, just dry skin. He now gets aloe vera juice in his water (as suggested by someone in here - Adele?) and his skin is much better. It does crop up again whenhe's moulting though. I'd take her to the vet to make sure though.

If your rabbit had fleas there would be tiny spots of black in the coat, flea poo :lol: yuk.It does sound as if your rabbit is going through a heavy moult and it maywell be dried skin.Keep up the brushing. val

Back