• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My 2 bunnys going to vets on monday - UPDATE

toria

Warren Scout
:D
Hello, this is the first time I have been on the forum since I wrote about my bunnys, and I am so shocked to see so many people have written with well wishes and support and I am so very grateful. You will all be pleased to hear that they are both fine.
I took Toby and Willow to the vets early monday morning where the vet who operated on them examined them and they had an anti-inflammatory injection, then I went home and felt so alone. I cleaned out their hutches and brought them indoors and phoned the vets up at 2pm. They told me they were fine. I went to pick them up after 4pm and brought them home. Toby started eating, drinking, pooing, weeing straight away and was fine, no side effects at all. He was drinking from his bottle well and I'd even made a point of telling the vet about when he was being stubborn to drink after treatment for heat stroke.
Willow came out of her box, did a wee in her litter tray then went and sat in the corner where she stayed for quite a long time. She kept shifting uncomfortably, as you would expect. I was worried about her lack of interest in eating as the nurse had told me both were eating, drinking and moving around so I phoned the vets who told me to try toast. It didn't work but she eventually took some hay that I kept offering her and that got her started as she then began to eat a bit more. I had to give her water by spoon as she wouldn't have drunk otherwise.
I stayed on the sofa that night, knowing as it's not all that comfortable, I'd keep waking up to check on them and give Willow water.
The next day, she started moving around and eating more. It's been one thing at a time, she'd start eating grain abit and lastly she started drinking from her bottle. I held the bottle inside for her to drink out when she was moving around a lot better and she's been drinking from it since.
I've still been getting up in the night to check that they are ok.
Today I took them both for their 5 day post-op check up and the vet was pleased with them. They are both healing well. (They have dissolvable stiches). I'm to keep an eye on them still, as I would anyway.
They are still in my kitchen. (the weather is horrible out).
So I am so pleased and I am relieved it's over. I was suprised at how well Toby recovered from his anthestic and have learnt that the operation Willow went through was much bigger and needed this time to recover, I am just so glad I took the time off work to be there with them. I would recommend that to anyone (who worrys as much as me!).
So, now I am hopefully going to move them back out into their shed in the next couple of days, let them get some exercise as I have restricted them and just let them heal and recover.
Now comes the question of when and how to bond!! One step at a time!!

Thank you again everyone for all your kind words and hope everything goes well for all your bunnies.
:D :D

Hello,
I have my 2 bunnys Toby and Willow booked into the vets on monday to be neutered and spayed.
I took them last week for a check up to see if they were ready and the vet said yes.
I have only ever had experience of my last bunny Fuzzy being neutered and it wasn't a good experience at all, as he was home 3 hours before he knocked himself and started bleeding due to a haematoma. He had to stay at the vets and had staples put in, so I can't really remember his recovery process all that well. I no longer have Fuzzy as he died but not because of this.
It's just the situation with Fuzzy is in my mind and I am worried about these 2.
This is the thing I have feared the most when I got the courage to have rabbits again. Silly I know.
I've never had any experience of spaying but my vet says they do it often and I trust her. It's just a worrying time for me and I get very emotionally very easily. I can see myself being upset when I leave them there on Monday.
I have the week off work to keep an eye on them.
I know they will be fine and be able to live together in a few months, after all this is over.
I'm being rather silly really, I'll be glad when they are home safe and well.

It is a worrying time but I'm sure they will be fine. I would let the vet know about what happened before (if you haven't already) so they know. they will get you to give them a call through the day and ask as many questions as you can think to keep your mind at rest.
I know when Mady was spayed I booked my days off so I could sit and be with her. Your buns sound like they have a lovley mummy who will look after them when they come back home.
If your feeling emotional - thats ok - log in here and your get loads of support ! :wink:

Thank you. I'm upset thinking about it.
My vet knows what happaned with Fuzzy, she was my vet then. SHe was great with Fuzzy as he had teeth problems and Coccidiosis in the past and I trust her and the other vets.
I live right next door too which is handy.
I just worry so much about them both, I'm also worried about Toby as he wouldn't drink after he was treated for heat stroke in that really hot week we had, so I hope he won't be like that again. I think I'm going to mention that when I take them on Monday.

Unless you have an inexperienced vet [u dont by the sound of it] dont worry its rare for problems to happen, you were very unlucky the last time.Im sure they will be fine. val

Hi, I can understand your concern, but try not to worry. I've had two bunnies spayed and one neutered with no problems at all. You are going to be worried because you care, but your vet sounds like a good one, and you're on hand afterwards if anything is amiss.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

hi try not to worry i have had my girl spayed she was a little ill for a few days but with extra pain killers she was fine to get them eating and drinking after try some wet herbs or dandilionn leaves and with mine i take a packed lunch with them come on here and chat if u need us theres loads of pepole who have had there buns spayed and nutred they will help you too

hi

wow - living next door to a vets would be a dream come true for most of us here :lol:

I'm sure everything will be fine with your bunnies - it's good you took time off work because they do need nursing care for a few days till they're back on their feet again - you're not the only over-emotional one as I've cancelled a spay for a bunny and 2 guinea pig neuters so far due to losing my nerve - totally silly as once it's done - it's done and no worries about other things then either :)

I did manage to get one of my piggies neutered last week and I should warn you not to relax if they seem fine the first day after - that's because the painkiller is still working...Charlie went into deep depression on day 2 when the painkiller wore off, and he stopped eating - Like Kim says, dandelion leaves work like magic, so find some before you need them :D

The main thing they seem to struggle with is drinking though - I held the spout of the drinking bottle to Charlie's mouth when I eventually realised :oops: and he drank loads - even though the bottle was hanging 2" away from him he never got up to drink by himself, silly boy :roll:

Another lady gave her bunny water on a spoon to its mouth, which really helped - otherwise offer water in a bowl rather than a bottle as they find it easier to drink from. Really if they're drinking and eating, they will recover fine :D

its understandable for you to be feeling like that, however nowadays rabbit neutering is very common in most veterinary practices and is much less risky now than it used to be. i had my rabbit spayed and i felt just like you, (spose it made it worse the fact that i had to actually watch my own rabbits op and recovery) lol
i would recommend that you tell the vet/nurse that admits your bunnies about your concerns and ask them to give you a call as soon as the op has been done and they have come round slightly since this is the most risky time, i also agree with kim that you should send them with a packed lunch, that way they will be fed their usual food rather than the food they have at the vets, its a good idea to pack some dandelions too since most veterinary practices dont have the time to go out and pick them fresh for all the bunnies coming round from their anaesthetics.
another thing that might help you is to ask the vet/nurse that discharges them if you can buy a syringe, this may come in very handy if your rabbit isnt eating/drinking enough, and even if they are absolutely fine, a syringe is always a good thing to have stored away somewhere for if its needed in the future
hope it all goes well (im sure it will do)

i'M sure it will be fine, Bunny was neutered earlier in the year and Daisy was done last week, so I know exactly what your going thro, you cant help but worry, it shows you care :D

I just had Amber spayed on Friday. It has been nerve wracking! She is on the mend now though so I am feeling better too! :lol:
You are really lucky being so close to your vet. Mine is a 20 minute drive away which is distressing for the rabbits especially when they are ill.
Good luck with your two. If you need any help or advice post op you couldn't belong to a better forum. The help I got here on Saturday was brilliant.

i have just had 2 boys neutered and they were fine,also two girls who both ripped both their stitches out!!So they both went back and were restitched having a double layer,oscar then proceded to chew these out!!!!(vet had previously tried body bandage,and collar which the first she chewed off and the second would just not tolerate and would of done more harm then good!)so last night she went back as another emergency and this time the vet used glue along with stitches!!!i phoned this morning and she is 'comfortable' but the vet would like her to stay in another night (probably due to the fact that he has already been called out three times this week all out of hours!) so will hopefully pick oscar up tom night :) i looked at some internet sites last night that all question in rabbits, why glue is not used more often as oppose to stitches as the rabbit views stitches as a foreign body so when grooming it removes it which is understandable if you think of it!!!This experience left me feeling really guilty and questioning should i have taken her for the op in the first place :? :( (Especially as i was driving the long agonising drive to the vets with her lying next to me with her stomach protruding).Anyway i'm just praying alls well that ends well :)

Thank you!

Thank you every one for all your support and kind words.
I've updated you all with how my bunnys are doing. Today I put them back out into their shed. They have been busy ripping their newspaper so must be feeling much better!!
I should really sort out how to get photos on here to show you all.
Thanks again. :D

Back