• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Impetigo?

Karly

Banned
I might possibly have impetigo (off to the doctors asap to find out if that's what it is), but was wondering if I should take any precautions around the buns? One of the types of bacteria that causes impetigo apparently is Staphylococcus aureus, which definately rings a bell rabbit-wise. Can I give anything to my bun or not?

hi

impetigo is usually something children get on their face - could it be shingles? I hope not :shock:

Don't think bunnies can catch anything off us - but pasteurella bunnies carry streptococcus or staphyloccocus if they bite us we can catch blood poisoning off them.

Impetigo is like wet spots/sores - they're more common in school kids because adults are better at hygiene but it can effect any age :) Don't share towels/flannels with anyone else in the household. Clears up quick with antibiotic cream.

I can't find anything on whether it can spread to bunnies. Your vet might know. In the meantime make sure you wash your hands before as well as after handling the bunnies just incase.

Tam

I just found something that said that snuffles can be caused by staph bacteria. I'd have thought it would be more likely that this would be transmitted via airborne particles though, and I seem to recall that about 30% of humans carry staph in their respiratory tract so presumably it's one of those things where the bun is more likely to pick it up if he is already under the weather? Even so I'd try and not let the affected bits touch the bunny, just to be safe.

No idea what it is to be honest, but my mum reckons it looks like impetigo. At first I thought it was a fly bite that had got infected (had a couple of those recently :roll: ) but at a closer look it's more little scabs in a ring rather than just one bite hole. Now gone a bit pus-y (yummy) and it's very very itchy! Also had a cut on my ear which I picked/scratched at, which isn't looking too good and is just as itchy.
I've cut all my lovely long nails down - took me until last year to finally stop chewing them but working with animals and having a zoo at home, you get so much dirt stuck under them! And I'm constantly washing my hands with Hibiscrub and that, but just the thought of it makes me itch all over.
Think my immune system is just really run down, seem to be picking up all the bugs that are going around at work and taking forever to recover from them, and now this, just what I need :roll:

yup me too, are you near a farm? its very easy to pick up ringworm from anywhere close to cattle etc...I think ginuea pigs can get it too, but it really sounds like it could be that, can you post a piccy, I have a book with rashes in...sounds a weird book to have but my youngest ended up in hospital because of a rather dodgy rash! :?

That's what I was thinking at first, but I think I had ringworm last year and it didn't look anything like this..was an itchy patch on my face but flakey, not scabby or anything. My chinchillas had ringworm and it looked the same, so think I caught it off them (ended up using their shampoo stuff on it too :lol: )
Being very wary around the animals anyway, just incase it is something they can catch.

Once you've had ringworm once you are much more suseptible to catching it again!
I had it from head to toe as a kid & twice more since then(all caught from animals I was in regular contact with at work all of which were pet animals)
anyway, it does sound very much like it, spesh if it was red before it went scabby.
Hope it isn't though coz its a ****** if you have pets & can take ages to clear up :(

No thanks, already got some tummy bug and to top it off one of the rabbits at work bit me! My thumbs all swollen and it's a pain to use the mouse, or hold a pen at work, and I keep forgetting and grabbing door handles and that, which really hurts!
ouch.jpg

It's the thumb on the left of the photo, curves out rather than in!

oww iv only ever had little nibbles off of rabbits. iv been bitten buy the rats, chinchillas, gerbils, deagus and cockatiil at college thow.

I think I'm 'immune' the hamster bites - was always given the task of sexing them at my old job so I learnt to just pry them off and carry on - had to sex some at work the other week that we got in in a mixed batch and history repeated itself - including the joy of hamster pee!
Plus there was the moody mouse who bit me several times when I first started..and ending up coming home with me a few months on as no one wanted him and he smelt so much, I got given him for free!
Then there was the rat with a headtilt, I took him on, spent £50 getting him treated (though the tilt remained), and he repays me by becoming the most vicious rat I've ever seen - and I have lovely scars to prove it! He bit my leg so hard that it left a bruise for about a week. Had a couple more ratties, not quite so vicious and all but one eventually grew out of the biting, but the one that didn't had a nasty habit of latching on and not letting go - though I did manage to laugh at the situation, even while she was still attached to my finger!
Was a bit silly giving my chinchillas some baby food as a treat and fed them it on the end of my finger..rats will lick it off gently, but the chinchillas didn't understand and I ended up missing the very tip of my finger :roll:
Plus working with parrots, conures, other birds, etc., plus poorly animals (I'm in charge of the sick bay) inevitably means more bites and scars to add to the collection! They actually wondered if I was a self-harmer when I started at work :roll:
There's just something about ill/vicious animals that reaches out to me and makes me want to look after them I think!

thats the only reason i dont like going in the mammal room everything bites me :lol: . i have never been bitten in the exotics room but now iv said that im going to get bitten on thursday :lol:

Yup, you've jinxed it now! Had a few of those experiences lately - said last weekend that a customer would come in and complain about something, and although they only come in very rarely and had been in earlier in the week already, they came in that day and did complain!
And this morning I was telling my mum how devastated my little brother will be when his rat dies, as this morning they were curled up together on the sofa, and about 5 minutes after Josh woke up his rat started having panic attack type things and gasping from breath - a lot of my elderly rats have done this prior to dying in my arms, I felt so terrible! Thankfully he got better after resting in his cage for a bit, but the fella is so old that it's not going to be long before he does die.
For some reason I thought I'd be fine picking up the bunny - we have another bun who's very territorial of her cage, but the knack is letting her know you're there and stroking her head for a bit before going to (slowly) pick her up. Went to do this with the bun and he just lunged straight for me!

ooops :oops: . there are big snakes, big terrapins, big spiders and a big iguana in there.
poor rat. one of mine died a little while ago, i think it was her lump that killed her.

Back