• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post op advice needed

Estelle

Wise Old Thumper
Ambers spay was yesterday. I got her home at 5.30 and she had a nibble on her hay. She also ate a bit of cabbage a couple of hours later but has eaten nothing since. She hasn't had a drink either. She has been lying in her litter tray since she got back.
The vets nurse said to bring her back if she hadn't eaten but even though she's eaten a bit last night I'm still worried.
I've put fresh grass next to her and other veg about an hour ago but she doesn't seem interested.
Shall I take her back to the vet this morning or keep trying to get her to eat?

I think I'd be inclined to take her back, if she's being very quiet it could be that she is in pain and needs another painkilling injection to help make her comfortable. Perhaps she was ok last night but now it's worn off and hurting her?

i'd take her back to vets for peace of mind especially as it's weekend and they'll probably be shut later

Have you tried her with some fresh herbs? I find parsley usually does the trick. On the water front does she have a bottle or a bowl? If she has a bottle try offering her a saucer of water, she may find that a bit easier. I know some buns recover quicker than others, but if you are worried ring your vets and have a chat with them. Hope she's feeling better soon :D Keep us posted :thumb:

hi

when Charlie was neutered last Friday, he was fine all Saturday so I guess the painkiller wore off by Sunday morning - He hadn't drank anything since Friday morning and looked at death's door from dehydration - Drink is the crucial most important thing I now realise (just in time thank God) - I held the sipper bottle next to his mouth every hour and by bedtime he had really perked up and started eating again.

With Amber already having a slow gut before her op, it's likely it will come to a complete halt without lots of fluids and maybe a gut stimulant like metaclopromide from the vet - The vet can also give her sub cutaneous fluids if she won't drink when offered water right under her nose...I always thought a dish of water was easier for them but now I would give them a sipper bottle to their mouth as they don't even need to get up to drink from that.

The thing that really got Charlie going apart from water was dandelion leaves - they whet his appetite when he left all his other veg.

Hope she gets well soon - they need quite a lot of nursing for a couple of days then they are usually fine :)

if shes not her self i would take her to the vet to get some more painkillers peach was like this not eating or drinking but as soon she had some metacam she was fine agine

Thats good that she is drinking though :D Even is its not a lot! After sophies spay she had about 3/4 trips to the vet as she didn't drink or eat anything. After numerous things, we decided to just let her eat/drink when she was ready, and she did. I think the trips to the vets stressed her out more.

If you are worried than I would suggest taking her back, but only is necessary as the journey could stress her out. You know your bun and you will know if she is doing a good recovery! Keep trying with the herbs and water!

Good luck! :D

Thanks, she has eaten 3 dandelions and two more spoons of water, yeay!
I think if she carries on like this I won't take her to the vet as she does get very stressed by it. If she gets worse though I'll be straight on the phone to the vet.
Hopefully she will perk up if she carries on drinking and eating. Just wish I'd thought of spooning water to her last night.

Estelle said:
Thanks, she has eaten 3 dandelions and two more spoons of water, yeay!
I think if she carries on like this I won't take her to the vet as she does get very stressed by it. If she gets worse though I'll be straight on the phone to the vet.
Hopefully she will perk up if she carries on drinking and eating. Just wish I'd thought of spooning water to her last night.

Fab :thumb: good news! :D

hi

and dandelions work their magic again - A tip I got from this forum :thumb:

I just meant the ordinary rabbit drinking bottle that hooks on the wire Estelle - I held the bottle upright (or it wouldn't work) next to Charlie's mouth and he drank from the metal sipper tube - bit easier to see how much is going in than with a spoon but that's brilliant if it works - I never thought of it I just grabbed the nearest thing as he looked so bad (and felt terribly guilty for not doing it sooner :( )

Once he'd started eating he really tucked into his hay, so hopefully that's what Amber will do next :)

Hopefully she'll be fine now, and regain her appetite! I know when Squidgy's had 'episodes' he sort of forgets to drink and as soon as I remind him that he has to, he's fine! Bunnies eh? Hope she feels better soon.

I did try the water bottle but she wouldn't drink from it. She keeps having a spoon of water every now and then. She has eaten 5 more dandelions and seems perkier now :D
Thanks for everyone's help. Even though I got through Phoebe's op ok I knew Amber would be harder as she doesn't eat as much and I have only had her for three weeks so she doesn't trust me as much.
I was close to tears this morning with all the worry but I think she's on the mend now.

Aww thats great news that she seems to be recovering! :wink: I know what you mean about the tears! When Sophie couldnt come home when she should have because she still wasn't herself and I had to leave her at the vets, I cried having to leave her there, even though I knew she would be in good hands :cry: :cry:

Much better thanks. Hopping round her cage. She ate dandelion, cabbage and carrot in the night and has just wolfed down 7 dandelions :D
She's not eating her dry mix at all so think its a good time to stop giving it to her and get her onto hay and veggie diet.
I'm so relieved she's getting well. She has to go to vets tomorrow for her post op check.
So grateful for everyone's help through this, THANK YOU :thumb: :D

Back