• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

small poo

Estelle

Wise Old Thumper
I was just wondering, Amber has really small poo's. Does that mean something is wrong? I've had her for nearly 3 weeks now and she was only fed some cheap rabbit mix. I now give her hay and veg and the rabbit mix although after she has recovered from her op I'll be weaning her off the mix.
Hobbes and Phoebe are smaller than her but their poo's are twice the size. Amber's look like chocolate chip size. Should i mention it to the vet when I collect her later?

Yes I would, and if you can I would take a sample of the poo with you to the vets, we did last night and the vet said it helped him to find out what was going on.

It could be that her gut is a bit slow.

Hope you get on okay.

I've noticed since putting on my buns on a mainly hay-only diet, all of their poos are much bigger. It might be just that she's a bit lacking in fibre due to having been on a mix, try to encourage her to eat lots and lots of hay, try offering her a few different kinds if she's not keen on what you usually give her, and see if that makes a difference

Maybe she just has small poos? Oli's are petit for his size. Humphrey, who weighs less than Oli, has poos the same as Sylvia (big fruity ones) - how is this physcially possible! I would still check with your vet though if you're worried and increase the hay. b-m x

Thanks, it may be the horrible rabbit mix food she has, its only 8% fibre. She will be off that soon and just hay and veg like the other two are.
I only saw the nurse when I collected her but I have to take her back in 3 days for check up so will ask then.

Um, if she is only young, you might want to consider switching to a better mix and feeding her hay and veg until she has stopped growing. b-m

When we switched Squidgy to pellets his poos got bigger. Mind you how such a small rabbit poos QUITE so much, I do not know!!!

I was told she is 1 year old from her last owner so I think she's finished growing. She hasn't eaten any rabbit mix since her spay op on Friday so I'm just feeding her hay and veg now.

That'll probably make a huge difference then. Bless her! Bobby and Ruby are off their pellets recently, and would sooner eat hay and veggies. I think it's probably better for them.

Back