• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

just a quicky

lady spudly

Warren Scout
i was tempted today to buy some bunny treats but i thought i would ask on here to see if i am being stupid, (or if its just my natural need to feed everything in my home chocolate?)

my local wilkinsons store are selling all kinds of funny bunny treats :eek: like yoghurt and chocolat drops for rabbits and fruit essence foods they all look yummy and lovely to me(but i am large and pay for my weeknesses) :lol:

would i be being crule to p-bunny if i just gave him the odd bunny choc drop?
:?:

debbie

There is much debate over this. On one hand the odd (pretend) chocolate drop is unlikely to do your rabbit any harm. And I do mean odd e.g. 1-2 a week. On the other hand they are definately not on the list of things that are good for rabbits.

There are much better things that your rabbit would consider treats though.

If you want to spoil your bunny you could buy some fresh parsley, pick a dandelion leaf or maybe a slice of apple. You might think a bit of parsley is pretty lowsy compared to chocolate (and I'd have to agree with you there) but as far as bunnies are concerned things like that are very yummy treats.

So that way you can spoil your bun and it's actually good for them too!

Tam

have to agree with tamsin there . my bunnies do have shop bought treets and at one time i used to give them a lot. now they only get them once a week at most and usualy thats because we get them donated. i dont suppose bunnies would even know what chocalate was if we didnt introduce them to it in the first place so im sure they wont miss it.

Mine don't get them at all. Squidgy thinks apple is huge treat, Bobby has the odd grape for his treat and Ruby loves carrot. What they've never had, they won't miss in my opinion!

No i never buy pet shop treats. I got given some yoghurt drops ages ago but neither Hobbes or Phoebe would eat them so they went in the bin.
They get fruit for a treat but not often as Hobbes has to watch his waistline :lol:

Hector and Kitty go mad when I shake their box of yoghurt drops. They know that when we transfer them from the run to their hutch that they're going to get one and it seems to have stopped the biting!

My buns are of the same opinion as Sally's Flossie :lol:

Their dinner pellets are a treat in my house

my buns used to get these treats but now they dont they have fruit or veg instead i saw these in wilks some down to 10p but just walked passed

lisa

Benny used to have the milk drop treats but all form of treats have been banned following his dental problems. I don't want to take any chances with his health.

My advice would be to avoid them full stop. Benny thinks a carrot top is a treat. He's also crazy about herbs so I'm sure he'll cope without his drops!

When my bun had chocolate drops, they were causing him problems with an upset tummy. so I stopped, and now my hamster just has all the ones that are still left over from xmas (my mum bought my bun a stocking with things like that in it!? :roll: )

My rabbit has papaya and pineapple tablets from oxbow as treats ( they reckon those fruits are good for their digestive system) Travis see's anything green as the ultimate treat though, which is fine by me, and I will be telling my mum this year, just to buy him a miniture herb garden for xmas!! :lol:

Back