• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

INFO ON FRONTLINE for new owners/reminder for existing owner

This is just to let all new bunny owners know that in no circumstances should Frontline be used on rabbits.

Frontline is highly toxic to bunnis and can kill them :(

It is not licensed for rabbits and the manufacturers themselves state not to use it on bunnies.

I am in no way aiming this at anyone - however it is something that comes up every so often and some people new to this forum and to bunnies may not be aware of the dangers.

lol Pam

Thanks Pam, it's definitely a useful reminder/new info. I've also heard of cases of rabbits being killed by use of frontline.

Out of interest, what is the recommended treatment for fleas on rabbits at the moment?

Alison x

Well I give mine a natural spray of some lavender and citronella diluted in water - half a dozen frops of each in about 200ml of water and spray it on.

I also have to say that I got a mite spray from the pet shop which worked even better than the vet stuff.

lol Pam

Did you mean to say frontline there? The whole point of this thread is to warn people that frontline can kill rabbits!

You have to use the right dose for the right animal and check it's safe. Giving frontline for dogs to cats could harm them. Or giving the dose for a large cat to a small cat or rabbit.

You shouldn't give any treatment sold/perscribed for one animal to another without checking with a vet first :)

Tam

Just to clarify the Advantage drops are specifically for rabbits, cats and small dogs (basically any of them under 4kg) so no worries about giving stuff that is meant for other animals. :D

(Not sure if your post was referring to my post or not Tam, so thought I'd put it in there anyway!)

No, just a general note :D Thanks for clarifying the advantage instructions though :)

Tam

Back