• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Russel rabbit advice page - it's changed!

AlisonA

Warren Veteran
Whilst looking for the science selective stockist information, I went for a general nose round the website and came across this page of advice.

Is it just me, or is this information a little misleading? Is it worth me emailing and telling them that I think it could be worded much better for the sake of our furry friends?

http://www.smallanimaladvice.com/rabbits.php (this link now takes you to the changed page!)

Well I've just read the first page and they basically said put a female in with a male, no mention of neutering or anything, actually a little quip about getting lots of babies as if its not a big deal! :shock: I think it would probably be worth a lot of us emailing them, I'll email too once I've read it all.

Maybe we could jot down a few points here and then write our own emails highlighting those things we think are wrong ??

Thanks! I'm glad it's not just me. I think it treats the issue of companionship somewhat flippantly, and doesn't give serious good advice on how best to achieve this.

I was also a bit concerned about the "love to be handled and stroked" bit, it didn't mention anything about being prey animals/not keen on being picked up etc, but rather implies to me that your bunny would just love being picked up by your children.

Rather than bombarding them with emails, is it worth someone with some 'credibility' (not wanting to put onus on anyone, but e.g. someone with a specific involvement in rabbit welfare) putting forwards some alternative text, or pointing them towards some links they could use instead? (maybe to here/RWA websites?)

I've not actually delved into any of their other advice pages, I'll probably go and have a good old read there now too!

You could either contact them an point them at useful info or contact the RWA who may contact them and offer info :) It's always worth sending friendly emails if you spot something wrong as a lot of places with switch it.

Tam

I have drafted a letter/email to russel rabbit, could anyone please have a quick look and give me any feedback? Am I right in thinking that the hutch size advice is 5'? Is my other text accurate? Is the letter too long? Too ranting? About right? Please be brutally honest with me, as I'd like to come across as a rational human being who stands a chance of being listened to! Thanks!

Dear Sir/Madam

Whilst browsing your site for information on Science Selective, I started to read your rabbit care advice pages. I have to say that given how excellent the Selective food is, I was very disappointed by the outdated, inaccurate and sometimes conflicting advice being given on these pages. I would be grateful if you would review your care advice – and particularly the items you have chosen to highlight on the front ‘care’ page, in the light of the most recent advice and research on the welfare of rabbits. In particular, I have three main concerns which I would like to highlight:

*The opening page states that “rabbits love to be handled”. This is simply not the case. Rabbits are prey animals and on the whole absolutely hate to be picked up and handled, although they may enjoy being stroked. I think this statement is very misleading and perpetuates the myth of rabbits being great pets for children. There are so many rabbits in rescue centres in the UK, and no doubt elsewhere in the world, because parents believe rabbits to be good childrens’ pets, and then once the rabbit becomes a teenager, they find out otherwise! I think it would be more accurate to make potential owners aware that because they are prey animals, their rabbit(s) will probably not like to be picked up, and if they are expecting a cuddly pet like a cat or dog, they are likely to be disappointed!

*The issue of companionship is dealt with extremely flippantly on the front page, although a little more advice is given on the “looking after your rabbit” page. I believe that it is irresponsible of your company to suggest that the people who are likely to be reading these pages (i.e. not professional breeders), should put unneutered males and females together, with the flippant remark that this may produce lots of babies. This will only exacerbate the current problems of poor rabbit welfare, potential genetic problems through breeding of unknown stock and adding to the huge numbers of rabbits already in rescues.

In addition, although mentioned in the detailed advice, no mention is made of neutering and companionship on your front page, which I feel is vital and much more useful than the information currently displayed. Neutering rabbits is now a relatively common procedure and neutered males and females make excellent companions. I am sure you are aware that it is now widely acknowledged to be cruel to keep most rabbits alone, and the RSPCA and Rabbit Welfare Association both advocate the keeping of (neutered!) rabbits together and believe you should be stressing this information rather than the confusing mix of advice currently given. Considering that there are 33,000 rabbits in rescues at present, I would also like to suggest that as well as your current advice on selecting rabbits, you add information to the effect that there are a large number of rabbit rescues throughout the country, many of whom have pairs of rabbits already neutered and bonded, or who offer a “dating service” to help you choose a suitable rabbit for your existing single one. Some excellent information on rabbit rescue centres and a searchable database can be found at www.rabbitrehome.org.uk

*Finally, your advice on hutch sizes is a little outdated. It is now recommended that the minimum size for a medium rabbit is 5*2*2 and not 4*2*2 as you have stated.

I thank you for your time, and I trust that you will take this opportunity to review and update the care information provided on your website.

looks good to me clear and presice(spelling) and gives them other information to replace what is writen well done lets hope they take note

Thanks Kim, I've just made a couple of tiny tweaks and emailed it to them. I'll let you know if/when I get a response!

Its a very good letter. Lets hope they take heed. The russell rabbit page sounds like it was written by a 10 year old. Well done for emailing them x

Nope! Nothing :(

I'll give it a couple of weeks in the optimistic hope that someone is working on some changes and they're going to come back to me and say something good :D

I've still not had a reply and the "advice" page is still the same. What do you think I should do? Resend it saying that I haven't had a response so wondered if the original had arrived? Or contact the RWA and see if they would like to take it up with them - looking at their website they are partnering with Supreme to offer freebies to new RWA members, so maybe they would take more notice of them? What do you think?

Thanks Kim, I've emailed the RWA and copied in my email. The woman it has gone to agrees too, and has said she will contact them, so fingers crossed there's still hope of it being changed :D

lets hope so as after all they are suposed to care about rabbit welfare then put info like that on there web site

Well I've been feeling a bit miserable today so it was nice as a bolt out of the blue to get this email:

"Dear Alison

Thank you for your feedback on the website and the positive remarks on our Science Selective Rabbit food.

We have reviewed the points you highlighted and will be making a couple of interim amends until a full review takes place next year.

We are aware that many pets are not given enough time and consideration when purchased and aim to provide basic care information to children as well as their parents. Although rabbits are not ideal pets for very small children they often purchased as a family pet or child’s first pet, and we try to promote responsible pet ownership that is easily understood by families. As you have pointed out there is a wealth of information on the web, which we are more than happy to link with on our site – for example, we are linked up with the RWA and The Blue Cross who provide further in-depth information.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback which is appreciated."

:D No changes yet (I just looked :lol: ) but it's a step in the right direction at least!!

That's good, well done :) You have to bare in mind companies can take time to do things. If it's an individual they could probably change the page in an evening. Companies have to find a person to write it, get it checked, approved, send copies to the webteam, get a copy back - approve that and then the change goes up :shock: so it can take awhile :lol:

Back