• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

money making!

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
i was taking a look at the free adds (bored its been quite today on here :cry: ) and i get depressed at the amount of people that think it is fine to make money of the backs of animals, with dogs inparticular, they are having litters of around 7 pups and charging from any thing to a couple of hundred to nearly a grand per pup! thats an alot of money per litter, for doing nothing! :cry:

i genuinely think it is discusting and wish something could be done about breeding any animals!

what sort of message does it give out "get a dog or a rare cat and breed it for a good income!" why dont these bloody people go and do a days work! :twisted:

also on there are lots of ads asking for free pets now if you cant afford the dog/or pet you want how the hell can you afford to care for it! :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

and the can we swap! for god sake!

rant over sorry

eve x

i agree with everything you said except the bit about free animals. because i got millie for free (outta freeads- not that i agree with selling animals in ads particulaly)
i couldnt afford to buy millie because i only get a certain amount a week- however i can afford to keep her happy because say if she needs jabs etc i save my money for a couple of weeks!
amyxx

.::.whiterabbit.::. said:
i agree with everything you said except the bit about free animals. because i got millie for free (outta freeads- not that i agree with selling animals in ads particulaly)
i couldnt afford to buy millie because i only get a certain amount a week- however i can afford to keep her happy because say if she needs jabs etc i save my money for a couple of weeks!
amyxx

amy in most cases with people like your self i would say it was ok but life and people is not like that when someone gets something for free they treasure it less (i am not saying in all cases as there are some geunine people out there,) but if they cant afford the animal how are they going to afford the emergancy op that the animal could need, yes you can save for the jabs but you cant save for an emergancy op can you! i have taken i one animal for stasis and it has cost me £120 to sort in a week! you cant save for emergancys!

On more than one occation I've had people email me for advice because their rabbit needs treatment and they can't afford to take it to the vets.

I imagine in an emergency your parents might help you out and you could pay them back?

I get people that want to know how to treat bite wound from their pet dog or a broken leg because they can't afford to go to a vet.

When people ask me where to get a free hutch or how much it costs to adopt a rabbit I always point out those are relatively cheap compared to the unplanned costs you might face.

Tam

I can only speak for the london and kent area, but people on benifits can get vet treatment free or at a low cost. There is the PDSA and THE BLUE CROSS. Also we have theCELIA HAMMOND TRUST that does cheeper nutering for people on benifits.I think you have to be carefull not to generalize too much.People on benifits are no different and can offer there animals just as much care and attention if not more because there at home all day.Just because you happen to be on a low income should not bar you from having a pet. val

Certainly - you should work out first whether you can afford it. Not wait until a problem occures and then find out your stuck. That goes for people on whatever income. Alot of people don't have £100-200 lying around unless they've planned in advance for the possibility.

Tam

humm i may read this wrong

but ya know sometimes a persons fortunes change, you loose a job and your pet is still part of your household. you dont stop loving your pet and rehome them just cos your life style changes.

there are options. insurance, savings plans even asking if the your vet will let you make payments.

my pets are my families life. we dont holiday, we have our boys (cos there all male).

i dont like people who breed just for gain or people who get free pets and then discard them or worse dont treat them as living feelng buddies.

there is no real answer to this except i know having worked in the care industry that it is a problem of not only animals , you should see the way some people treat there granies and grandads. humans can be awful sometimes.

Definately, I'd recommend people put a small sum away a week as it adds up and comes in handy in an emergency.

There are lots of places that maybe able to help. If your pet needs veterinary treatment it needs treatment - failing to provide it is an offence in the UK & US.

It's not so bad when it's mites or something when advice from other owners might help as there are products that you can buy over the counter. But I've had people ask me how to treat serious (potentialy life threatening) injuries themselves when the animal would be in pain/distress.

Tamsin

bunnylove said:
.::.whiterabbit.::. said:
amyxx

amy in most cases with people like your self i would say it was ok but life and people is not like that when someone gets something for free they treasure it less (i am not saying in all cases as there are some geunine people out there,) but if they cant afford the animal how are they going to afford the emergancy op that the animal could need, yes you can save for the jabs but you cant save for an emergancy op can you! i have taken i one animal for stasis and it has cost me £120 to sort in a week! you cant save for emergancys!
i have a bank account for emergancies such as if mum went to hospital or i needed to get up north qick to see family or something happened to the dogs. im just ONLY aloud to go in to it for emergancies!

Tamsin said:
Certainly - you should work out first whether you can afford it. Not wait until a problem occures and then find out your stuck. That goes for people on whatever income. Alot of people don't have £100-200 lying around unless they've planned in advance for the possibility.

Tam

exactly!!!

I had a quote for insurance, it was quite a lot :shock: , and then there was a £50 excess to pay :shock: :shock: , so instead I put that money into a seperate bank account and use for emergency treatment.
Day to day things like vaccs I try to budget for out of my monthly salary, although I admit that I have put the fee for Daisys spay on my credit card this week as we are on holiday next week and I wanted to keep some spending money :eek:

Well I'd love to say I was putting money away, but at the minute I'm not. I was very good and had quite a big stash, but I'm afraid Busters vet fees have been eating it all, he had another massive bill yeserday. I'm still injecting him at home and his eyes have turned into quite a problem.

SOAD said:
Well I'd love to say I was putting money away, but at the minute I'm not. I was very good and had quite a big stash, but I'm afraid Busters vet fees have been eating it all, he had another massive bill yeserday. I'm still injecting him at home and his eyes have turned into quite a problem.

oh dear, give him a snuggle, ........you got over your fear of injections then :) sounds like you had no choice :?

SOAD said:

Is there anything else they can do for him ?

awww I will do, I feel like an expert now :lol: , we're now on week number four. Poor Buster, but he's a lot easier to inject then to get him to take oral baytril. He's having eye cream and bio lapis too.

Mikeymoo said:
SOAD said:

Is there anything else they can do for him ?

Well this was his last hope really, because we've done everything else, checked his notes and he came at the end of may and we are nearly into October and the eyes are still a problem. Although they've cleared up fantasicly on the jabs, but he went in for a fluch yeserday and although the eyes look fine now the tearduct was still to swollen to get the fkush thing into, so we are going at it another week and try a flush again next week. Everytime he looks like they are sorted as soon as the treatment stops they go bad again, so hoping it wont go bad once the jabs have stopped . He can see now too out of both eyes, which is so wonderful. :D

poor ol buster, but we know you will take good care of him theresa! :wink:

but this thread was not about whether or not we put money away or not it was about the amount of ungeninue people that think it is ok to breed animals to make money! :twisted:

sidetracked

true, we did get sidetracked didn't we, ahhh well,

you can count on 1 thing. if there is money to be made in something, there is always someone who wants to make it.
:(

it is the human condition, sad but true.

debbie and p-bunny

dog breeding

I think it's o.k. to charge a lot for pure breeds of dogs, provided they are from a reputable breeder. Where I grew up, a few of our neighbours and friends bred dogs. These were mostly working dogs; labradors, spaniels and collies. One of my friends mums also bred boxer dogs for pets.

The dogs, whether they were to become working dogs or pets, were all vaccinated before they left the breeder. They all had eye exams and were wormed. Added to the cost of feeding, other vet bills, and housing all the puppies, there was not usually much profit to be made although the dogs were sold for about £200 each. All the breeders we knew and know were doing it for the love of the breed rather than for the money. They did not have litters very often, only when there was a high enough demand for puppies.

I disapprove of breeding if people have just got a dog and decide they are going to breed it to make money without really knowing much about breeding, but not all breeders are like that. Their are ones whose interest lies mainly in trying to breed the best, healthiest, and most suited to working dogs possible, rather than trying to make money.

Although they do make a small profit, this isn't anything you could live on, it maybe pays the costs of keeping their dogs for a few months. They all had other sources of income (mainly their husbands!!).

If I was getting a pet dog, I'd definitely go to a rescue centre (there's plenty of pure bred dogs in centres anyway if you wanted a pure breed), but if I was getting a working dog for a particular purpose, I'd go to a breeder.

I do think there should be less breeders though; there are so many adverts for puppies, and they surely can't all be from reputable breeders!

Back