• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do rabbits need worming?

To be honest I dont usually worm the bunnies unless they are underweight/potbellied etc but I know the CCT recommend it. Guinea pigs should be wormed every 3 months using panacur sheep wormer.

Cheryl

I thought ivomecing them every three months sorts out worms too? Guineas I mean. Or do they need the panacur too?

I was wondering if ivomec regularly would benefit rabbits as well? Or are they not as tolerant of it as guineas, who can have it orally instead of by injection?

I didn't know either :oops: and one of my piggies is quite old now (6 years) so I'm a bit worried about suddenly giving him drugs :?

I have horses aswell as buns and piggies, and instead of routinely worming them, we get Westgate labs to do a worm egg count on a sample of their poo. Usually, no eggs are found, so they don't need worming - it's recommended that you only worm when the egg count goes above a certain level. That way, you don't keep giving the horses drugs that aren't needed.

I wonder if they test guinea pig poos for worm eggs :?: :?: :?:

We worm all our rabbits twice a year , Spring and Autumn as a preventative measure, before the worms get a chance to cause problems in the gut.
We use Panacur 10% not the stronger Panacur type.

doorkeeper said:
I thought ivomecing them every three months sorts out worms too? Guineas I mean. Or do they need the panacur too?

I was wondering if ivomec regularly would benefit rabbits as well? Or are they not as tolerant of it as guineas, who can have it orally instead of by injection?

In the States, some breeders use Ivomec injections on a regular basis to kill parasites etc. I don't know if that's allowed here. Ivomec is very toxic and I'm not sure I would be happy giving it to my buns as a precautionary measure, aside from the fact it costs and arm and a leg (about £12 per injection - ouch).

Panacur is probably a better routine wormer. I just did Tilly and Humphrey. They were both drinking inordinate amounts of water when I got them, like a med-sized bunny bottle in 24 hours between them. I wormed them and the excess drinking has stopped. I've also started them on a few veggies so perhaps that has made a difference too.

I personally do not worm my rabbits routinely, but Elve is right in saying that parasites can come from hay so perhaps it is worth considering. Sylvia is very difficult with oral medicine though! b-m

Mikeymoo said:
So should we all be worming our rabbits and pigs ?

I think that is an individual choice, but I would personally recommend that bunnies are wormed from time to time.
Bunnies can swollow worm eggs from grass, hay and veggies :?
I am a great believer in prevention is better than cure, but it depends on your own outlook I guess :wink:
Vets only tend to worm bunnies if symptoms are present, but many bunnies carry worms without it being obvious, and it just reduces their vitality and general condition.
All our bunnies seem a lot perkier and their coats glossy after we began a routine worming regime . :wink:

bunny-mad said:
it costs and arm and a leg (about £12 per injection - ouch).

Ouch indeed! It costs £1 per jab at my vets. Though for the rats if I ask they'll give me a syringe full so I can put a spot on the back of each of their necks for the course for about £4 (4 rats x 3 weeks).

Rabbits aren't that much bigger so I can't see the dose being much different.

Tam

Tamsin said:
bunny-mad said:

Ouch indeed! It costs £1 per jab at my vets. Though for the rats if I ask they'll give me a syringe full so I can put a spot on the back of each of their necks for the course for about £4 (4 rats x 3 weeks).

Tam

Actually I think it's £13. They're not exactly cheap, but they are very very good with rabbits so I mind less. My previous vet charged £12 per jab. b-m

hi

I'll take that as a definite yes then - thanks for that :D

Next question - do you need to take them to the vets for panacur or can it be administered at home/can you buy it yourself? And how do you administer it to bunnies or/and piggies? with food? syringe? water?

thanks!

Tamsin said:
bunny-mad said:

Tam

i get charge £8.50 inc vat! for ivomectin jabs although panacar is cheaper!

eve x

Re: hi

elve said:
I'll take that as a definite yes then - thanks for that :D

Next question - do you need to take them to the vets for panacur or can it be administered at home/can you buy it yourself? And how do you administer it to bunnies or/and piggies? with food? syringe? water?

thanks!

You can buy it over the web without a prescription and do it yourself with an oral syringe. I have the 10% version, same as Adele. The dosage for adults is 0.5ml per kg body weight for 5 days, but check with your vet if you're unsure.

b-m

Back