• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lilly has a runny eye

Vianne

Warren Scout
Hello guys,

I have recently noticed that lilly has a runny eye, every day its wet around the fur on her eye.

Her eye seems to be clear though.

any ideas?

Yeah,

Lilly has just had her teeth done at the vets a few months ago. It's not everyday its runny, but a lot of the time it is.

I might pop her down if it gets no better. She is still lively and eating fine.

Hiya. Bobby had a slightly runny right eye, the vet checked his teeth, then his tear duct (involving some flourescent yellow stuff :shock: :D ) and it was his tear duct slightly blocked. She gave me some cream to put in it,a nd he;s fine now.
Hope Lily's ok.

Sounds like a tear duct problem. This may or may not be being caused by tooth roots. If she has a history of dental problems, this is probably something to talk to your vet about.

Tilly has a blocked tear duct. It is quite serious but we're not entirely sure what the underlying causes are. My vet thinks a build-up of pastuerella bacteria and a possible 2ndary infection which might have damaged the lining of the duct and has blocked it. She is on antibiotics twice a day plus eye drops 3-4 times a day. She has had the duct flushed once and due for another on Friday.

If you have only just noticed this then hopefully it will be easy to mend. Unless it is the tooth roots and then it could be an ongoing problem. b-m

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/vet-talk/eyes.html

Back