• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Toxins in the kitchen

Bernadette

New Kit
Hi, Everone,
I am new here but have kept a house rabbit for the last 10 years. Very sadly last week my rabbit died in the kitchen, I have a new electric cooker fitted. When I used it first it smoked, it smelt like a new smell. I didn't know it was going to smoke when I used it, the cooker was off and the smell seemed to be gone, I left my rabbit in the kitchen for the night and he was dead in the morning. Can any one tell me if this is a problem they have heard of before? Bernadette

aawww im sorry to hear about your bunny.
I remember when i first moved into my flat here the cooker was new and when i turned it on teh first time it smelt like it was burning. My rabbits dont live near the kitchen tho so i dont know if it would be bad for them.

Sorry to hear you lost your bunny.

It's difficult to say, as it's electric and not gas then I think it's unlikely that it was something toxic. It's possible it was just a coincidence or possibly the stress of the changes exaserbated a problem that was hidden.. perhaps a weak heart as he was an older bun.

Tam

I'm so sorry to hear about your rabbit.

When my mum got a new cooker, she was told to put it on for an hour before using it, and it smoked and there was a smell too. I looked it up and it says that the smell and smoking is from the fibreglass insulation that has a binding agent in it to hold it together. As far as I remember the smell was gone pretty quickly afterwards, I would have let my pets back in the kitchen too (my mum doesn't have any pets).

I don't know if this could cause toxins that would be harmful to your rabbit; maybe you could contact the manufacturers to be certain. I've heard pet birds and small rodents can be particularly sensitive to some fumes given off by household products (like non-stick pans and cleaning stuff), but have never heard of fumes from a new cooker doing harm to anything; and as rabbits are larger I wouldn't have thought they'd be as sensitive to smells and fumes.

Thinking of you; its sad to loose a pet so suddenly.

Kate and Jack
xx

Bernadette, I know this sounds like a stupid question but are you sure that was the cause of his death? If you are, I would complain to whoever you bought it from - if it affected a bun like that, it could have affected a child and that would cause a hue and cry, there should be warnings. This makes me very angry, it is so needless, such a tragic waste and could have happened to any one of us with a house bunny. I really am so very very sorry.

Please post his picture in Rainbow Bridge, it is near the bottom of the first page of the RU board. I am sure everyone would love to see just what a handsome boy he was. :cry:

How awful for you. Maybe it wasn't the cooker. My first bunny died very suddenly on me, only 18months old. These things happens sometimes for no apparent reason. Sending lots of hugs.
Binky free little bunny.

so sorry to hear this - its not your fault, I guess buns being much smaller than us are that much more senstive to things that may be toxic, and you wouldn't have been able to smell these except for when they were really strong. :cry:
I know when we got our new electric cooker last year they told us to run it with the door open for an hour to get rid of the smell. Glad now that my house bun at the time wasn't living in the kitchen like my little Spot is now.

If it is the toxic smell, it is very unlikely that the toxic can kick in so fast and causes death. If the toxic is that serious, it's hard to believe it won't affect a human in a slightly longer term, like 1 week.

To kill a rabbit of a reasonable size, say 5 lb., over night, the amt. of toxin would be very high, and it should affect human to some reasonable degree. I have to lean towards coincidence.

If it was prolong exposure to a certain smell for mths., then it is more possible.

Back