• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flystrike/mites any ideas? - photo added

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Hi does anyone have any photos of Flystrike, especially when it is just eggs. I want to know what the eggs look like.. are they white or yellow?

The reason i ask is i have been checking my fluffies' bottoms regularly and today Nala has small white bits around her privates. I just scared its something horrid so keep looking to see if anything is moving. They are hard to wipe away as they are under her fuzz! Im pretty sure it wont be fly eggs but i just want to be certain. They arent flaking bits like when simba had mites so i just dont know what it is.

Mollie had flies buzzing around her when she had a bad tummy and had some diahorrea. We were checking regularly and found eggs. They were yellowy-white and look like little grains of rice. Elongated and tapered at each end. They are very small and clump together.

You need to remove them. Clean the area and keep a very close check on the situation. Go and get some 'Rear Guard' immediately and apply it as soom as possible. It was amazing how little interest the flies paid to Mollie after we had done this.

Really keep a good eye because flystrike is a killer and the eggs can hatch very rapidly (10 - 12 hours).

Good Luck.

They are liquorice comfit shaped if that helps and they usuallyclump together in a line/row

If you put 'blowfly eggs' or 'fly eggs' into an image search on google there are some pictures there.

Tobias said:
If you put 'blowfly eggs' or 'fly eggs' into an image search on google there are some pictures there.

Thanks that worked. They look a bit like grains of rice in the photos. Well that isnt what i can see on Nala's bottom so i dunno what that is. She doesnt have shavings so its not that in her fur. Strange. I will have another look in a little while and if they are still there maybe i will try wash them out. Definitely doesnt look like fly eggs which is a big relief anyway. Thanks.

They are like grains of rice but way, way smaller, so don't be deceived by the size on pictures. Have you got a flea comb? You might find it easier to get them off with something like that, rather than trying to wash it, which can actually make it worse - as you can't separate the fur and they will all just get tangled up in it.

Yes i use a cat flea comb to groom my two already. i combed the area but the bits are like papery round bits that are close to the skin. Could it be mites again ? I will try take a photo if i can

right i just had another look.. its exactly how it was earlier but appears spread around her girlie bits and back of her tail area. Rest of her body appears clean and no red skin areas. I managed to get a few pictures so you can see it yourself. Do you think she has mites? Simba's mites looked like dandruff but these are bigger bits. Or maybe its just dry skin from somewhere?
flakes1.jpg

flakes2.jpg

any ideas?

Is each of those "bits" a single object/flake, and not a cluster of much smaller things all clumped together?

They seem to be like flakey stuff i combed some out but as they are so fine they dont catch in the comb. More like dried flaky skin or something else but i cant think what

Diddeen said:
They seem to be like flakey stuff i combed some out but as they are so fine they dont catch in the comb. More like dried flaky skin or something else but i cant think what

Hi Chris, when I first read the title of this thread I had a quick panic, thank god its not fly eggs!

Charlie gets little flakey bits of skin around his back end, and its nothing to do with mites. I've asked various vets about it and they've all said the same that its just dry skin, and as long as I'm feeding him the right diet (ie it snot a vitamin deficiency of any sort) and we keep an eye open for mites then not to worry.

One vet said it was something to do with his breed and the amount of fur he had, he has v thick fur and they are more prone to dry skin, especially if they don't groom there properly which makes sense as to why its around the back end. Whether there is any truth in this I don't know. He also suggested feeding Charlie more nuts and things with natural oil in them - again whether there is truth in this I really don't know. The problem with trying this was that he started to put on weight so I stopped!

Anyhow, hope that makes you worry less.

It looks like flaky skin to me, Pippa has that a bit at the mo, especially round her rear end. She is moulting a lot at the mo so it could be to do with that, she also has a couple of bald patches on her head so not sure if mites or due to moulting but will be off to vets to check it out!! I know that tomatoes are good for guineas with dry skin.

Nicola

Squidgy gets like that around ho rear end too, he's got no teeth and can't groom properly. The vet said it's definitely not mites, more like dry skin. Someone suggested putting aloe vera juice in their water, helps their skin. It seems to have helped Squidgy a little anyway.

Thanks for your replies!! Certainly does put my mind at rest and also makes alot of sense. Nala does groom herself but she is moulting.. i think she has been on and off for months now! :roll: Also she is a little chunky so may find it harder to reach those areas. I wont be trying the nuts cos of her size but maybe the aloe vera if it continues.
Thanks alot! :D

Lace has this over a lot of her body. The vet looked at it and said that it was not mites, but just general poor condition in her case - she was badly neglected before she came to me which is how she came to have untreated ear and eye infections:(
But Clover gets it on her rear end too. Her fur is very thick and she was a bit matted there when she came to me. She had a bit on the outside of the base of her ears too. It went and then came back when she moulted. She eats well and her coat condition has improved to the point of being glossy so I'm not worried.
Lace I will try and do something about soon, she has had far more urgent problems up til now, but she is soooooooo much better :D

Yeah Nala's fur and bottom was in bad condition when i got her too. Her fur now its moulting has grown through alot shinier and softer than it was. I dont think that area has moulted yet so i guess its all just down to that.
Thank you

Back