• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can I have some advice please?

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
One of my youngest buns has always been the smallest due to being the runt of her litter :?

She had been gaining weight very slowly but overnight almost she has lost a lot of weight, anyone body got any idea why?

She off to the vet tonight for her myxi jab with her two sisters so I will get her checked out

Also how old do young buns have to be to be wormed?

Not sure what might have caused such a drastic ovenight weight loss has she been eating o.k during the past week - good that your getting her Vet checked you might want to see what the Vet feels re her Myxi jab - might be if she's not too well might be worth delaying it until you find out whats causing the weight loss.

Sending snuggles to her.

Hiya Gem, sorry to hear your bunny is not doing so too well.
I would suggest discussing your concerns with the vet BEFORE he/ she vaccinates the bunny.
We have just acquired a tiny Lionhead baby called Wilbur and he was extremely underweight before the lovely Cheryl began to feed him up at her rescue. The vet weighed Wilbur and advised against vaccination till he had gained some more weight, so as not to add strain on his system, especially being a growing baby.
I think as Bunnytales suggests, your vet needs to get to the bottom of the weight loss first. Worming can be done from about three months of age, but again, if a baby bunny is not thriving I would not recommend this, as Panacur can upset the delicate digestive system.
Your bunny may have a low key infection that needs treatment, or another internal problem.
To help a bunny gain weight, add a teaspoon (only ) of finely ground oats to their usual dried food daily.
Hope the little bunny will be alright, let us know what the vet says.
Our little Wilbur is gaining weight rapidly here, and is now eating us out of house and home :lol: So get those cupboards stocked up as your bunny may just have the serious munchies too any day now :wink: :)
love and best wishes

Thanks everyone, I don't think she's well enough to be jabbed, but I'm not to worried about that at the moment.

She's been having Oats for about three weeks to give her a bit of weight for the cold nights but she's just lost it all :?

Hi Gem,

You didn't say how old she is, but with weight loss like that, especially if she has always been a little smaller, I would suspect Coccidiosis. That's a common cause of sudden weight loss, especially in young buns.

I'm sure your vet will have more of an idea, let us know how she gets on.

madysmummy said:
what do people think about giving this bun alfalfa hay to put on weight ?

Yeah I know Alfalfa is a hot topic re the concerns of Calcium etc but one of the reputable Breeder sites mentioned this can be good for short term weight gain as long as its given in moderation.

Buffs can be a bit up and down with weight (but she's a porka at the moment :lol: :lol: ) - she has just a very occassional treat of a very small amount of the Alfalfa Nibbles - not sure if this has helped but she does seem to love it :D

Would be interesting to hear what other folks think on this?

She's thirteen weeks Sue same age as the others were when they got Coccidiosis, but its only her affected :?

Ah well, I'll see what the vet says tonight

You could worm her just to be sure. I wormed Sylvia when I got her, probably at about 3-4 months. The dosage is slightly less for young bunnies. Normal dosage is 0.5ml per kg body weight for 5 days. I would check with your vet for the youngster dosage. b-m

Gem said:
She's thirteen weeks Sue same age as the others were when they got Coccidiosis, but its only her affected. Ah well, I'll see what the vet says tonight

Oh dear, sounds like it might be more of the same :( When I first bred rabbits years ago I had problems with Cocci, and it did sometimes affect only one in a litter. If you see the same vet you saw last time, then s/he will know what's best. Fingers crossed!

Phew back from the vets,

All is well, no mxyi jab, Vet says it not Coccidiosis, but he's taken a poo sample to check for bugs :lol:

She had a jab of Terramycin, to help if she does have it and she had a jab of Baytril.

Charlie (My Vet) said to keep an eye on her and if she shows no improvement bring her back in. He also advised worming her at the dosage of 0.2ml per kg

So all's well I guess, she's just underweight

What vets do you use Sue?

Back