• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fistral's Poorly, PLEASE help...

bubble

Young Bun
We've just come back from the vets, who has given Fis two jabs to get her pooping...

The only thing i can think of is that may have caused this is that our neighbour, who babysat Fis while we went away, gave her mange tout. Even though i left plenty of fresh veg (carrot and broccoli) for him to give her. Are peas not good for bunnies? Also, she seems to feel more boney than before we went away, i'm guessing that either he didn't feed her, or she wasn't eating it for whatever reason...

Anyway, the vet has said to keep her indoors and warm for 24 hours, and try to get her eating lots of hay...

any ideas how i can get her to eat the hay, as she just seems to be ignoring it all... She also seems to be very lethargic at the moment...

I just wanna cuddle her and make her feel all better, but i am scared of hurting her belly...

Any help with any of the above would be very very very much appreciated...

I'm pretty new to rabbits as well but my approach would maybe be to allow her to sit on my knee with lots of fresh hay there also and just let her be for an hour or two to see if she eats. If she's not eating in the morning then ring the vets again.

its possible that she maybe hasn,t eaten whilst you were away . what does the vet think it is , I take it he has ruled out gi statis or teeth probs ?? I,m assuming that she has been given cissapride which is a gut mobility agent , did the vet also suggest syringe feeding her ? I would recommend that . The best thing to use is supreme recovery which you can get from your vets , fed little and often via syring . If you don,t have that then if you have any baby food ? and mix this with the dried food (crushed to a powder) then that would be better than nothing . Did the vet give you anything to feed her with ?

Awww, poor boy. It's horrible when they won't eat - Squidgy went through a phase of this, before we changed his mix to pellets. Try mixing the hay with some fresh herbs, chopped up, make sure he's still drinking - give him a bowl as it's easier for them.
How long did the vet say it would take the injections to work? Perhaps leave it that long and see what happens then.
Good luckl

bubble ,

i see that you are new to keeping bunnies and here is me going about about gi statis etc .. :roll: sorry , Do you know what gi statis is ?

sorry, i think there's lots of confusion here, Fistral is a girl bunny, not a boy bunny...

The vet doesn't seem to think that it was gut stasis... we are monitoring her tonight, and if she is no better, we have to take her back tomorrow...

am very worried about my baby bunny...

the jabs she gave Fistral were Metacam and Metoclopramid...

she didn't say how long they would take to work unfortunately...

Fis has a water bowl when she is in the house (where she will stay tonight, to keep her warm)... and seems to be drinking very little at the moment...

Metacam is a painkiller, so hopefully the pain will recede so she will want to eat. The important thing is that her tummy keeps moving, so she will need to eat/drink. Try tempting her with favourite foods, or pellets soaked in water, baby food as gina paul suggested is also nice for them.

agree , its very important to try and get something into her tummy . If she won,t try the hay then I would not go stressing her out anymore , try mashing some food up and placing it near her , mix the food with a little water as well as fluids would also help ,. the metacam should start to work in a few hours so hopefully that will ease the pain and she will be keener to eat .
If she is still not eating by tomorrow then I,d go back to the vets but also see about getting a syringe and some supreme recovery . The vet or nurse will show you how to feed her , the most important thing is that she does not inhale the liquid so its best to aim the syringe away from the back of her mouth and do a tiny bit at a time .
Fingers crossed for your little princess tho , hopefully the painkiller will kick in soon and you will get up in the morning to a pile of poo,s and an empty bowl .
If her tummy seems sore then it may be worthwhile gently massaging it in case their is a build up of gas , very gently tho.

she's eating some veg at the moment, but still not drinking any water...

hopefully we can get her eating some grass too...

do you think i should try lavender? i sometimes give her a couple of leaves and she seems to like them...

Oh, that's really good news! Try her with a little lavender if she's used to it! You could try soaking the veggies in water first, but she should be getting some water through the veggies.

yes , tempt her with her favourite foods . great that she is eating some veg , as long as she has something in her tummy , I wouldn,t worry too much about getting her to eat hay just now .

hi

My piggie Charlie stopped eating yesterday and it was because (apart from being in pain from neuter) he hadn't drunk anything - I couldn't give a bowl to a guinea pig so I held the bottle spout next to his mouth and he drank loads! Can you try this if you have a bunny drinking bottle normally? The thing that really got him on the mend though was dandelion leaves - I remembered (better late than never) what a couple of people here had said about them being irresistable to bunnies and they were irresistable to Charlie too - whereas he'd left his usual veggies at tea time - I went out in the dark to pick some - ugh those flying daddy long legs were all over - but worth it!
Now I give him a drink from his bottle every couple of hours and it seems to make him want to eat every time I do it.

I'm sure the metacam will help her - try dandelions and drink too - I wouldn't risk large amounts of lavender as it may be poisonous though.

i guess one of the med's has kicked in... she has emptied her food bowl and is drinking a little (better than nothing), she has come for a cuddle too, which is always nice...

Back