• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

plastic hutch and rabbit run advice please!

greybunny

Young Bun
I made a huge run for my bunnies (9ft x 6ft) out of wood and wire mesh, but 9 months later the weather is taking its toll and it's slowly disintegrating. I was thinking about getting the run advertised on Rabbit Rehome http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/donate/rabbitrun.asp to replace it and was wondering if anyone has anything to say about it? I'd have to buy 2 as I'd like the run to have a roof. Are they long lasting runs?

Also, the bunnies are probably going to need a new hutch soon. Does anyone have any experience with plastic hutches, and are they easier to clean and longer lasting than wooden ones?

Ive had a couple of these that came in with rabbits, im a bit worried about them getting hot being made of plastic. They would last though. In the bottom is wood that u could change every year or so if it got too soiled.When i sold them i advised the owners to keep it well in the shade. val

If you're going to use them as a perminant run then I'd recommend building a frame around it. Either using wood or plastic tubeing. That would make it nice and sturdy.

It's plastic coated metal (and orginally designed to use as a composter!) so it should last well.

Tam

Yes I use them, it's very sturdy. A couple of things to consider - the mesh size is very big so if your bunnies are small, they could possibly get their heads stuck if they decide to have a nose through. This could also mean that a fox/dog/cat could take a swipe through it and possibly catch hold of a bunny. I'd suggest covering it with a finer guage mesh if this is a potential problem.

The other thing is that one of my buns has a habit of chewing it so the plastic coating has come off some parts and it is rusting. But I've had it for 18 months and it is still incredibly sturdy.

I'd second Tam's suggestion about putting it onto a frame, it is very fiddly to keep opening/closing, especially if you are going to put a lid on it. I've got about 6 packs of it to make a massive permanent run and think it's superb, but when we redo our garden I will definitely be mounting it onto a frame.

Back