• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preparing the hutch for winter

tramsden

New Kit
My pair of mini lops are housed outside in a double hutch and under run - with ladders to all levels - . The site is down the side of the house and is slightly sheltered .

Ideally over winter I would like them to remain in the same location..

Can someone please give me some tips to what I should do to keep the hutch warm and keep the frost at bay..

.. Tony

Bunnies do really well in the cold, but should be out of drafts. Mine stay out all winter (they have a permanent run) and barely use the hutches. They snuggle up together to keep warm. To stop water bottles freezing up, I use bubble wrap around them and a thick sock over the top.

hi

I've just read your post about seperating your 2 bunnies now that they are nearly 3 months old and unneutered boy/girl - They need to be seperated now and he will be fertile for about 2 months after his op - so they can't go back together for 3 months, taking you to Christmas - Is there any way you can put a SECURE divider in the hutch? It would be very bad if brother/sister mated as the babies would be genetically at a disadvantage being so closely related - So with winter coming and them both being young and effectively sleeping on their own, is there any way you can have them in the house? If not then just give each lots of warm hay bedding and a snugglesafe heatpad each - you can get them from various petshops and online. If the hutch has a tarpaulin or plastic sheet on the roof and down over the back and sides, which can be pulled forward and over the wire (still allowing plenty of air in for ventilation) - that should keep them much more snug too.

have you got some taurpauline or something similiar to cover your bunnies up on cold and damp nights and give plenty of bedding to keep them warm
scratch and newton also make cover hutch huggers to fit though theress nothing wrong with the old taurpaulin covers they do the trick

and you can also buy special heat pads that you heat up in microwaves for 10mins with covers on for your pets to snuggle up to and keep warm

also when/ if they are neutered as soon as they are together they will cuddle up to one another to keep each other warm

lisa

Back