• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I Separate pair pre-neuter

tramsden

New Kit
I have brother & sister mini lops who are 11 weeks old now, I have decided to neuter the male asap, I understand that the vet does the op at 16 weeks.

Should I separate them before the op, It'll be a heart ache as they both enjoy each others company...

I will have the female spayed sometime in the future.

Many thanks..

.. Tony

Hi. I'm not sure at how many weeks the doe can can become pregnant, but poosibly before 16 weeks, so they may need to be separated. You could always just put something down the middle of the run/hutch, so they can still see each other, but can't get up to any funny business :oops: :D
I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help you further.

We get our boys neutered at 12 weeks if they are with their sisters - but our vet is very experienced, your vet may not feel confidant to do it so young.
It would be worth popping him along so your vet can have a feel. If there's nothing there yet take him back the following week for another check. As long as he is done by 14 weeks they can stay together - any longer and they will need to be separated, which would be a shame.

Back