• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

so glad i found you all.

lady spudly

Warren Scout
Hello,

i have a wonderful bunny called p-bunny (like p-diddy) whom we rescued from a bad life at a neighbours. P-bunny is now homes in his very own 2 story home with toys and gets lots of love and attention. but i have a question.

1, will a dutch accept a lop as a friend ? we are planning on getting p-bunny neutered soon and feel a friend is in order for this very soiciable bunny.

2, how can i be sure he will be warm enough in winter months? we have lots of hay for him but does the hutch need forther covers and insilation for a winter?

3, Since p-bunny has moved to his new and ultra mod huch home with an under grass run he eats well but dosent seem to be drinking from his water bottle is this a thing to worry abou?

I am sorry to ask for help on my first board but you all seem to know what your doing .....

so glad to meet and read about you all, best wished Lady spudly aka debbie. :D

First of all, Welcome to the forums :D

And dont worry about all of the questions, I'm sure we all are very happy to answer :wink:

1, will a dutch accept a lop as a friend ? we are planning on getting p-bunny neutered soon and feel a friend is in order for this very soiciable bunny.

Yes, your dutch will definatly accept a lop as a friend. Rabbits dont care what breed they buddy is, they are just very social animals (like you said) and need that kind of companionship. Also, neutering P-bunny will be needed before getting him a girly friend, but it looks like you've already thought of that too!

2, how can i be sure he will be warm enough in winter months? we have lots of hay for him but does the hutch need forther covers and insilation for a winter?

So, is P-bunny in a hutch outside? If so, he will need tons of straw, and warm hidy-holes where he can escape from the cold. Rabbits can tolerate cold also, but not a draft. The hutch has to be sealed nicely and he has to be cut off from all blowing cold air. Remember though, rabbits can not be outside if it is about 50*F or lower, so if it gets cold where you live you might consider him being a house bun. How cold does it get in winter where you live? That may help answer your question...

3, Since p-bunny has moved to his new and ultra mod huch home with an under grass run he eats well but dosent seem to be drinking from his water bottle is this a thing to worry abou?

Hmmm...I'm not 100% sure about this one, but I can give it a try from a bit of personal experience. I have a rabbit that used to drink the usual amount of water, and then after a while, he stopped. He is perfectly healthy, but just doesn't drink that much water. I figured that he is getting all of his moisture from his friuts, veggies, and fresh grass. That may be the case with your bun. If you are concerned, checking with a vet could never hurt though.

Well, I hope this helped and I can't wait to hear from you!

helloo and welcome :wave:

1 as above

2 i give mine straw and cover them with a tolpuling or blanket

3 you could try puting a slash of apple or pineapple juce in his arter or put his warter in a bowl to see if he will drink some more but if he has grass and veg hell get a lot of warter that way

smiley-faces57.gif
to you and p-diddy. Glad to see you are getting your questions answered. It is a great forum and lovely people

Hiya and welcome. P-bunny sounds like a very lucky bun to have ben rescued by you. Looking forward to seeing some pics.
I think your questions have mainly been answered, just a couple of things to add. If you take p-bunny to a rescue centre, he'll be able to choose his own friend, and as for winter, my bunnies live in permanent run with hutches inside, and they always choose to sleep on top of the hutches rather than in them! They do snuggle together for warmth though.
Enjoy the forum!

Hi Debbie and welcome to the forum!
I cover my hutches up in the winter with plastic sheeting (I have covered most of the hutch area with roofing felt this summer) and they always have plenty of hay (I recycle the stuff thats gone on the run floor too) and also cover the run when theweathers very bad! :D Hope this helpsxx

re winter housing and advice.

thank you all very much My hubby is as i speak planning on designing our small spare bed room into a winter bunny land for when the temp drops.

and we just got it decorated, oh well p-bunny comes first......

many thanks again this is a realy useful site......

Hi. P Bunny sounds like a very lucky rabbit. To answer your last question I had the same problem with my rabbit he just didn't seem to use his water bottle. He has a bowl of water instead and he drinks from that regularly. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Back