• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril

Vicki

Alpha Buck
Hi, Kind of of topic but i have a hamster who has cut his leg and he has been put on a course of baytril. The vet said that he ill take the drops of a dropper thingy! However he took one lick and now wont come near the dropper! I have tried putting the srops onto a crust, pear and a ryvita biscuit (all small pieces)! However when he gets to the bit with the drop on it his face turns like a babys when they taste mustard! (only way i can describe it)!
I was just wondering if any of you have had the same problem and knew of any other ways to disguise the taste?!

Thanks for reading!
Vicki

my bunnys hate having medicine, they'll never take it willingly. have occasionally got them to take it off bread or a biscuit but usually i have to just squirt the syringe into their mouth. good luck!

Could you mix it with some fresh fruit juice? When I gave it, I just syringed it directly into the mouth.

Hi thanks for the quick replys!
I bought him some cottage cheese today which i read their allowed to have a little bit of, i was goin to try mixing it in with that and hopefully he will lick it of the spoon!
fingers crossed!
Vicki

Baytril does have a horrible taste :( Good luck with cottage cheese but I think you might have to squirt it in :(

I am not very fond of crows but I cannot help but feel sorry if they are injured or sick. We had a baby crow who visited...he couldn't get up to the bird table (meant for the little birdies but I wouldn't have minded for this baby) I used to open the window and throw him out food, then he let me come quite near him to get the food. We tried Baytril in everything and he wouldn't eat it at all!! Last thing was tuna and he took some of it and even the one dose made a difference to him. He comes back every few days now and still looks up at the window for me :lol:

Grapefruit or Pineapple juice disguises the taste well but its an acquired taste for some small furries?
:?

Yep Baytril tastes horrible, I have first hand experience :lol: With my rats I usually put it in a bit of ice cream, yoghurt, jam or honeyed porridge :)

Back