• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A third rabbit?

Beebop

Warren Veteran
Okay, I have just recently got a 7ft by 5ft shed for my rabbits to play in whilst I am at school as I hated keeping them in the dog crate all day and they are MUCh happier and have settled in well. They get out of the shed everyday and on coldnights will stay in the dog crate inside. Both are spayed females and get on VERY well. So now I am thinking of getting a third rabbit, a neutered male from the rabbit rescue a 45 min drive away from me, but is this a good idea?

I have 2 spare hutches and a dog crate that I could use until they bond and I am really quite keen on rescuing a wee bunster! But would it be a good idea and is the shed big enough for 3??? :?

My two girls are tame, always giving me bunny kisses and pulling at my clothes, no agression, but then they have never been put in with an adult male rabbit! So what do you people with more experience advise me, a good or bad idea?

you can ond a male to 2 or more females the only thing is will the 2 girls start to fight for the atention of the boys are they a laid back pair or is one more the boss im sure phill can help you whith her group of 11

I would think that the shed is plenty big for three buns, and they do sound very pleased with it :D

As for the male bunny, I think you could bond him with them. It may not be the easiest thing, but it is definatly do-able :wink:

I need some one to back me up here...but wouldn't another male bunny be easier then a female added to the pair?

Mishka and Sparkle were a bonded pair of (unspayed) females.

Adele successfully bonded them with Flump, a neutered male.

All 3 lived in a 7 x 5 shed :D

The only caution I would offer is that you try and bond them on neutral ground rather than just throwing the male in the shed with them, as I would think the females would gang up and defend their territory. :?

hi

All hell let loose when I tried to bond Benny with my 5 girls - Even though it was his territory and they were new, they ganged up on him - now they've nicked his shed and I have to keep him in the house and exercise him while they're eating or sleeping (shhhh - don't tell them!) as they fight over him - having a bloke around gets them all turned on then it's a fight for ownership (poor Benny's doesn't even fancy them either) - nightmare :roll:

However - I went a bit over-the-top with 5 girls at once (seems to be my style :roll: ) - maybe you would not find it as hard - but keep the new bunny in the house well away from the girls at first, and introduce him to Clover first on neutral territory - If he bonds with the dominant rabbit then the less dominant one is more likely to accept him - bond him to the 2nd bunny secretly on neutral territory too, like your bathroom or a friend's garden maybe - Good luck :D

It just takes time and patience to bond them together.
I have 4 bonded bunnies and am about to start the difficult process of bonding another 4 into their group (but need to wait until 4 newbies are spayed/neutered).
Hopefully in the near future I will have a group of 8 bonded (5 males and 3 females).
My hardest will be bonding the dominant female, the other female is laid back and isn't fussed, the 2 males are fairly chilled out but Harry will defend Marmalade if she's stressed or being chased.

Time, patience and a good aim with the water pistol are what's needed :wink: :lol:

i think if you can bond a neutered male you'd have a lovely little group. i prefer keeping mine in groups of more than two in preperation for the awful day that we lose one. it seems to reduce the stress for the other bunnies. it can take time but is well worth it

thanks for all the advice! :D

So if/when I get a third bunny, should I put the two girls and him in neutral territory, put him in the dog crate and let them get to know each other or do as elve said and introduce clove to him first then with fudge? It is all very confusing!

I'll go read a few bonding articles now, but anyone who has bonded rabbits in a similar situation to what I will have, please leave any hints or tips you have. :D

Again thanks to all who have responded! :D

hi

well I got my advice from Phill the bunny bonder - she knows! I ignored her advice and put Benny in a cage, with the girls out loose in the run around him, and it got nasty when I let him out (as things looked very friendly - and I was told it would be fine by the lady that brought them) as they then ganged up on him - I think doing the side by side thing works well with just 2 rabbits but if there are more you need to do the one at a time thing like Phill advised me to do - I wish I'd listened to her but it's a bit late now as Benny just hates the girls :?

It's up to you in the end - a lot depends on the temperament of your rabbits - some are more easy-going than others...Is there a particular boy you've seen to adopt?

no, not yet, I haven't contacted the rescue yet, I am just seeing whether or not to get a third one, if I do decide to get one I will contact the rescue and see if they have any males which would be suitable. :wink:

I would agree with Elve pair up with the dominant one first and then when you are happy with that pairing, then pair up with your other bun. It will take time but will be worth it and you will need to find some area which you keep for the pairings up ony.

Janice

If you have time and space for another rabbit then get another :) don't get another rabbit if you fancy a change of scene or if you think your current rabbits might liven up with a new bunny around, if you definately want one and can take care of it well, give it plenty of space, pay for vacs and neutering then I'd say get one.

neeshkabeesh said:
If you have time and space for another rabbit then get another :) don't get another rabbit if you fancy a change of scene or if you think your current rabbits might liven up with a new bunny around, if you definately want one and can take care of it well, give it plenty of space, pay for vacs and neutering then I'd say get one.

well my two are vaccinated every year so the third bunny will be as well. I have a 5ft by 7ft shed and they will get out and about the house as well. I have time and can afford them so I guess I better email the rescue hadn't i! :D
I'll let you all know what happens! :wink:

Excellent :D are you going to pick a dutch to match the girls? :lol: I had a blue grey dutch once, she was lovely, that colour would match! :lol: :p

any poor bunny which needs a home although I suppose I would prefer a different breed from a dutch, i'll just have to see what they have, something small-medium sized.

The rescue centres near me will let you bring your rabbits in and put them in a neutral area with the rabbit you are hoping to rescue. This means they can spend an hour or so together and you get an indication as to whether they will get on. Maybe your rescue centre will let you do this?

Back