• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter tray

Michelle

Warren Scout
i have a hutch with a 2 compartments in it, the smallest one is supposed to be where he sleeps but ever since ive had joey, he has used his sleeping part as the toilet, so i put him a litter tray in there and he uses it fine with no problems. but now its his first winter and its starting to get really cold so i want him to try to get him sleeping in the smaller sompartment because its warmer. so i have moved his litter tray into the other bit of the hutch, but he isnt using it, he's still using the smaller bit. can you think of a way to encourage him to use the tray in the other compartment?

sorry its a bit of a long post!! :oops:

as long as he has plenty of hay/straw he will keep warm wherever he sleeps, if he's using the tray in the hutch I wouldnt argue with him, mine will use it in the run but not in the hutch, they tip it over and make a right mess
:lol: :lol:

It would probably depend what mood he was in as to whether he'd still use the litter tray in a different place or wind you up carry on using his sleeping quarters! I know when you are litter training house rabbits, they say to gradually move the litter tray to where you want it, and they will get the idea. My bun is very funny with his litter tray's, they have to be somewhere where he can have some privacy, so if he goes into another room in the house, the litter tray has to bu tucked away or in a corner somewhere! :? ( diva bunny! :roll: )

If you are worried about the cold still, try using one of the snuggle safe heat pads you can get - or ge him a bunny friend as a hot water bottle!! lol

hi

why not give him 2 litter trays - one where he's used to having it, only fill it up with warm bedding, and one where you want him to go? They usually eat the hay while they poop anyway - he may well spend all night in his 'sleeping toilet' if there's lots of hay to munch in there :)

My rabbit refuses to use his litter tray unless it is in the sleeping compartment! I used to peg a towel over the bars where he slept to keep out the draughts. He was always in a shed so warmth wasn't really a problem but you could easily give them lots of hay and place a blanket just over one end so that they still can look out and have some ventilation.

Back