• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rescue Remedy useage

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
Skip has to go to the vets today for a Myxi jab and after last time I'm really worried as he wouldn't eat or drink for 4 days and i had to force feed him.
That time he had the VHD jab but i don't know why he got ill as he never had before. It was either the jab or the dogs in the waiting room that scared him??

This time i have booked the first appointment of the afternoon so i am straight in and out with hopefully no dogs around.

I have some rescue remedy ready but how to i give it to him and how much?

Hi, I used Rescue Remedy on Charlie bun when Fern died. I went to a really good herbal medicine place near where I live and got the original Dr Bach one. The lady there told me lots of people come and buy it for animals and just to do the same dilution as for humans which is 2 drops in a glass of water. She said that was for a large tumbler sized glass. I put two drops in their bottle so that a bit less than for a human.

I hope that helps, and all fingers and paws crossed that Skip is OK after his jab.

I don't know about the rescue remedy, but when my bun last had his VHD jab, he was poorly afterwards too. I took him straight back to the vets the next day so that they could give him some fluids as he wasn't eating or drinking and was just huddling in the corner feeling sorry for himself. They said they didn't know it to be a common problem for there to be a reaction to it but that he was probably fighting off the bacteria that were put into his body by the vaccination. It wasn't very nice though all the same :cry: I'm hoping he will be OK this time around as that was his first VHD jab. - wasn't so keen on the dogs in the waiting room either! :?

Its a worry isn't it that our much loved bunnies get these strange reactions to vaccinations - I guess its a bit like humans with something like a flu vaccine - some have side effect, some don't.

I know last year Zac had a slight reaction and his booster is due early November so I'm not looking forward to that one thats for sure :roll: but I think the advantages still outweigh the slight risk so I guess I'll be going for it.

Hope the Rescue Remedy does the trick for Skip Linnyloo - Keep us posted.

hi

I wonder how you can tell when the advantages of being vaccinated carry more risk than the risk of actually contracting the disease? I know all these rabbits that have had bad reactions recently are usually fine after a week, but the stress of just a vet trip on a delicate animal like a rabbit, especially if it brings on an attack of stasis or a bad reaction to a vaccine, can't be good either...I wonder if the risk of catching these diseases is as great as we seem to believe? None of my rabbits were vaccinated in rescue, and they survived...But we'd never forgive ourselves if our rabbits caught a disease that we could have protected them from either :?

Re: hi

elve said:
I wonder how you can tell when the advantages of being vaccinated carry more risk than the risk of actually contracting the disease? I know all these rabbits that have had bad reactions recently are usually fine after a week, but the stress of just a vet trip on a delicate animal like a rabbit, especially if it brings on an attack of stasis or a bad reaction to a vaccine, can't be good either...I wonder if the risk of catching these diseases is as great as we seem to believe? None of my rabbits were vaccinated in rescue, and they survived...But we'd never forgive ourselves if our rabbits caught a disease that we could have protected them from either :?

Yep Elve its a difficult one but I guess its a bit like Insurance - its something you have but you hope you may never need it - for me its a personal choice I guess - I live in a semi rural area with lots of rabbits about and my furry crew are all House Bunns so you say that supposedly they are at lessor risk - but those darned Mosquitoes can get anywhere and VHD is an Airborne Virus - and Yep your right I would never forgive myself if they caught anything and were'nt adequately protected :wink:

Back