• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue or Free Ads?

elve

Banned
How do rescues feel about people taking bunnies/piggies from the free ads? Louise is asking for a big bunny on one thread, and in response to a copy paste of some free ads bunnies in need of a home, she says she'd prefer a rescue bunny to a free ads bunny.

Now the bunnies advertised in the copy paste are clearly in grave danger, whereas the bunnies in rescue are safe - so how do rescues feel about this? Clearly every animal homed from the free ads is one less home on offer for a rescue's animals - When I think that I said I was up to my limit with 6 rabbits...and now...I seem to have exceeded that limit 3 times over with the free ad piggies, but my first thought at the time was I HAD to act immediately as they were in danger, whereas when I adopt from a rescue it's never on impulse as I know they are safe in the first place, so it's carefully considered - probably too carefully?

Elve,

I have got nothing against taking on free-adds Rabbits. They deserve a home just as much as rescue centre Rabbits. There are exceptions thou and this for me is one of them.

I would rather home a rescue centre Rabbit, as I will be given an honest description of the Rabbits character/history etc. If I where to take on a free-add Rabbit the owners could possibly tell me anything just to get rid of the Rabbit.

Generally the above wouldn’t matter but because I am looking to bond a Rabbit into an already bonded pair who have particular temperaments I need to find a Rabbit that matches them.

Also if I home from a rescue centre if things went really bad with bonding them I could take the Rabbit back. This wouldn’t be possible with a free add Rabbit and I would be landed with a Rabbit to re-home myself as I have no space to keep a single Rabbit long term.

Louise

hi

well that makes sense I guess - I feel almost guilty for not getting my pigs from rescue sometimes though - maybe there is no right or wrong with animals needing homes as they ALL need homes, so you just have to do what's right for you...Or act on mad impulse like I did :oops:

Hmm I see your point.
Maybe if you gave a free-ad person money for their rabbit they might think it could be profitable getting lots of pets and selling them off. When you get animals from a rescue you get to give a donation to the place which funds good care etc for the animals there so :? it just depends doesn't it. It might be better to advise free-ad people to take their animals to refuges than buy the animals from them.

hummm i see ur point here.
if i had 2 choose from the 2 i would go for rescue.
Just because there on free ads doesnt mean ther in great danger and desperatly in need of a home even if there free, i know some breeders would give a rabbit away for free if they know they will be going to a loving home. i havnt advertised on freeads but a friend of mine has and has found some super homes from people off there and still keep in touch she also recommened a lady who was lookin on there to try me and she brought 2 babies off me and before she had them i was emailing her and asking questions about herself to make sure she was right, she came quite far to come as get some rabbits off me and was a lovley person with a little boy and have lots of other animals and i still keep in touch with her and has invited us down to see them and hopfully will be seein her and her son tomorrow at a show
becky

Most people when trying to rehome an animal would try the RSPCA as most other rescues are only know to those "in the know". The RSPCA is usually full and the person will be placed on the waiting list or urged to rehome another way.

That I guess is where free ads comes in.

I would choose the free ads bunny as I would hope that any rescue would vet the new owner and it would not be taken on a whim.

I understand that this does not help the rescues free up space or help with donations.

With regard to been able to take the bunny back, I would never intend to do this. If the bonding goes bad then I would have a single bunny (or 8 as the situation is now).

neeshkabeesh said:
Hmm I see your point.
Maybe if you gave a free-ad person money for their rabbit they might think it could be profitable getting lots of pets and selling them off. When you get animals from a rescue you get to give a donation to the place which funds good care etc for the animals there so :? it just depends doesn't it. It might be better to advise free-ad people to take their animals to refuges than buy the animals from them.

My local RSPCA advises people to try and move the unwanted animal on themselves before they'll take it on. You must be seen to helping yourself as such before they will step in. However this doesn't happen obviously if the animal is in danger they'll step in prior. Marley was from the RSPCA, but LucyPH RSPCA Walsal had seen hime being passed about the free ads for months. Nobody wanted my poor ikkle man :cry: , Oh well my gain :D

bun

Neesh...I would take a free ad bun and have done to rehome them..but I only take ones free to good homes not being sold..I would never give money for a rabbit in a free ad as probably encouraging breeding. the ones being given away are in need as much, if not more,than ones in rescues

I have picked up quite a few rabbits and piggies from the free ads who were in desperate need of finding a new place to live, I have to admit I never let on that I am taking them home and then will hand them over to ARC for rehoming :oops:

Like Jill I would never give money for an animal from a free ad as I also think it encourages breeding and gives out the message that there is a market for them.

Janice

I AGREE WITH HONEY BUNNY IF NO MONEY CHANGES HANDS THE OWNER/BREEDER DOESNT PROFIT . MANY FREE ADD BUNS ARE NEEDY CASES BUT EACH HAS TO BE JUDGED ON CIRCUMSTANCES INVOLVED.

The only thing is, most people advise when rehoming a pet in free ads to put a nominal charge in, of say five or ten pounds, as it puts people off from collecting an unwated rabbit and using it as free snake food. So even the ones that charge a fee might be needy bunnies, it jus the owners are being carefull.

hi

My thought exactly Tree - we criticise people for giving their bunnies away, but criticise when they charge a fee to a good home :?

bunnymadhouse said:
I AGREE WITH HONEY BUNNY IF NO MONEY CHANGES HANDS THE OWNER/BREEDER DOESNT PROFIT . MANY FREE ADD BUNS ARE NEEDY CASES BUT EACH HAS TO BE JUDGED ON CIRCUMSTANCES INVOLVED.

However, if a breeder was giving away older rabbits for free, although they're not making money on those they're freeing up a hutch that they may fill with baby buns that they may then sell on. Sadly I've seen this happen in petshops and wouldn't doubt bad breeders do it too

That's a tough one. I am very much in support of rescue, but there's a good possibility that when you find one, it might have been surrendered due to behavior or health problems..

Last edited:
That's a tough one. I am very much in support of rescue, but there's a good possibility that when you find one, it might have been surrendered due to behavior or health problems..

Yes it MIGHT but the rescue would check it over and observe it so you would be less likely to have problems. Many are unwanted cos kids got bored, or moving house ...

Would much rather support a rescue by adopting an animal. The people running rescues have the animals real interests at heart and your adoption fee goes towards helping others.

Back