• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

which to neuter...ffem...or homme?

I would say the female if its a choice but recommend you do both. Thats what I did. Rabbits seem much happier when they are spayed/neutered. Lifetime of sexual frustration can be hard! :oops: :lol: Cuts the risk of cancer in both sexes too.

There are pros and cons on both sides, i wud get them both done but if it has to be just one then it would be the female as they can get very aggresive.

The male if not done will constantly bager the female as it will get to horney whereas the female wont! Plus the op on the male is far less intrusive and they recover far more quickly

Mady has been done - she a a lone house bunny but the thought of cancer cutting her life short made us decide to have her done. I would say get bothe done.

Phill said:
The male if not done will constantly bager the female as it will get to horney whereas the female wont! Plus the op on the male is far less intrusive and they recover far more quickly

Tell that to my female Amber, even the cats scared of her now, she tries to hump everything in sight! :lol:

hi

Many rescues only get the males neutered - it's difficult to bond a pair if the male is not neutered as he will be very horny and constantly pester the female for sex - Usually she gets fed up and either is stressed constantly or turns and attacks him - either way the bonding doesn't work.
It's also much cheaper and a far less dangerous op to get the male neutered. The other disadvantage to unspayed males is they often wee wildly over anything that belongs to them - including you!

It's a good idea to get female rabbits spayed too as it may cut their risk of developing cancer of the reproductive organs after the age of 2 - Unspayed females are not aggressive though as a rule - I have 5 and Phill has umpteen - but they can get phantom pregnancies or get possessive over their hutch as a mother rabbit would do naturally - My girls are very sweet natured!

Estelle said:
Phill said:

Tell that to my female Amber, even the cats scared of her now, she tries to hump everything in sight! :lol:

i have 15 females only 2 of which are spayed and they very rarley hump anything! I suppose it's just down to the natural temperament of the bun XX

Yes it must be, she's very excited at the moment. She is being spayed next Friday so I hope she calms down :roll:

If you want to keep them together the male needs to be neutered. It's a good idea to get the female done too to prevent uterine cancer though.

There is no reason why you couldn't get the male done now, introduce them after 6 weeks (so he's no longer fertile) nd get the female done 6 months later so the cost is spread out.

Tam

as phill has said the male will constantly pester the female if he isnt neutered, which isnt fair. i would recommend to get them both done but if you can only get one done definitely the male.

sophie

as phill has said the male will constantly pester the female if he isnt neutered, which isnt fair. i would recommend to get them both done but if you can only get one done definitely the male.

sophie

I'd get the male done now and the female at a later date! Niamh was 3 when I had her spayed!!

Back