• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My new hamsters

Rexy bexy

Mama Doe
as some of u know i couldnt resist in buyin some hamsters at the london show they cambells winter whites iv wanted some of these for ages so finally got a pair they r two males and so friendly unlike some of the dwarf hamsters u can get i find them more tame than the syirans, their just like clowns.
these rnt ur normal winter whites the dark one is a saphire and the light one is an orange
well the 1st week the stayed in a large yellow stoage container until i got a glass tank white the woman said would be fine. They cant climb well as they have fluffy feet well yesterday we had found the orange one had found its way out of the glass tank (had no top on as we hadnt put holes in it yet) and we didnt find him till we got home. (cheeky monkey)
well we r stuck for names again but r thinking of ant and dec but dunno which to call what?? :?

well any way here r some pics of then the day after we got bk from london so r 4 weeks old here
Picture042.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Picture043.jpg

becky

BirdieBun said:
aww they are so cute Becky! they look real tame! awww has one got red eyes one black eyes?
yep there very tame
the orange one screams and moans(but never goes to bite) if u find him hiding under the shaving cause these kind burrow
yep the orange has ruby eyes and the other black
becky

All Hamsters are good burrowers.
Top tip if you are keeping in a glass tank.
If its deep enough, fill it half full with sawdust/ shavings... but in various different places put cardboard tubing in (with a little bit of the tubing sticking out), if you put it close enough to the walls (if you do this then cut cardboard in half) you can often see them burrowing like mad. They end up making such a network of tunnels, its a wonder they don't collapse.

I use to breed Syrian's, and like rabbits the more you handle them as youngsters(once the eyes open), the tamer they get. One pet shop used to beg for mine as customers loved the fact they were so tame. I never fell for it tho, as I thought it was always a ploy to try and make more money from my babies. Any way it was always strictly one litter per mother, as I didn't like stressing then out.

aww wee winter whites! Very cute! I really want some dwarves! I love robos, campbells and wws, can't decide which breed I would like the most! :roll: Whatever the rescue had i suppose! :lol:

Problem is they are very prone to diabetes, so no fruit or sugary veggies etc especially with the campbells! Also they LOVE Chinchilla sand baths (NOT the dust stuff as it can cause respiratory probs), I use cheap tesco value lunch boxes and my syrians roll around and dig in them, also use it as a potty! :D

Becky.....what an absolutely gorgeous handful....two of them in the palm of your hand...how cute and scrummy is that. Give them a heap of snuggles from me please
25.gif

Mad_cat_rabbit said:
All Hamsters are good burrowers.
Top tip if you are keeping in a glass tank.
If its deep enough, fill it half full with sawdust/ shavings... but in various different places put cardboard tubing in (with a little bit of the tubing sticking out), if you put it close enough to the walls (if you do this then cut cardboard in half) you can often see them burrowing like mad. They end up making such a network of tunnels, its a wonder they don't collapse.

I use to breed Syrian's, and like rabbits the more you handle them as youngsters(once the eyes open), the tamer they get. One pet shop used to beg for mine as customers loved the fact they were so tame. I never fell for it tho, as I thought it was always a ploy to try and make more money from my babies. Any way it was always strictly one litter per mother, as I didn't like stressing then out.

hi
yep i love to watch them burrow i v aways had syrian's and did have a litter at once.
yep iv done that idea iv got some carboard tolilet rolls and put slits in then and put them under the shaving next to the glass so i can see them burrow and sleep

at the start i wanted normal cambells but found out there temrements isnt 1/2 as nice as the winter whites
becky

awwww their so cute i had a dwarf hamster a couple of years ago i dont know what kind he was it just said dwarf russian he was all white with red eyes we picked him because he was they only one this colour and was being bullied by the others he was very tame he would run around the house he was kind of slow aswell bless him id like another dwarf russian but i havent seen any around for ages my sister has a robo but she hardly ever bothers with it as they are so fast.

Rexy bexy said:
BirdieBun said:
aww they are so cute Becky! they look real tame! awww has one got red eyes one black eyes?
yep there very tame
the orange one screams and moans(but never goes to bite) if u find him hiding under the shaving cause these kind burrow
becky

are you sure its not a girl :shock: i thought only girls did that!! i didnt know you could get oange ones? i thought it was just the sapphire, normal and pearl

very cute tho :D

Katie said:
Rexy bexy said:
BirdieBun said:
yep there very tame
becky

are you sure its not a girl :shock: i thought only girls did that!! i didnt know you could get oange ones? i thought it was just the sapphire, normal and pearl

very cute tho :D
i think the orange is new colour and also have one called mushroom
yep i did cheak and they r both boys
he is just a typical moaning man :lol:

Mad_cat_rabbit said:
I use to breed Syrian's, and like rabbits the more you handle them as youngsters(once the eyes open), the tamer they get.

I have Syrians too!

I've always known that hamsters from "proper" breeders (I don't mean backyard variety, but those who are members of the hamster show clubs) breed lovely, gentle hamsters which are usually twice the size of the pet shop kind, so mine came from very reputable caring people.

(If you're not already aware, most pet shop hamsters come from vast "hamster farms", bred on a massive scale, rarely handled, weaned at 3 weeks and shipped out in bulk to pet shops at about 4 weeks of age. If you're a pet shop owner, you can literally call up the farm and a box of a dozen assorted will arrive by courier in a few days' time!! This has been going on since the 1950's and is why Syrians have gained a poor reputation for being ill-tempered nasty wee bitey things).

I actually handle mine from birth... yes, I know the experts say not to, but show-type hammmies have come from generations of good natured and trusting mothers, and if you ask Syrian breeders they will tell you they do the same. It's something I have always done with my rats (and bunnies) and it makes a huge difference. If the mum is so nervous that she won't trust me, then in my view she hasn't the right kind of nature I aim to pass on to another generation.

The difference in size has to be seen to be believed... Kim, my Silver Grey (colour like a chinchilla Rex rabbit) is ginormous... 240g!

Rexy bexy said:
BirdieBun said:
yep there very tame
becky

screams! :shock: omg!

i really wanna get my b/f's lil lad a hammy for his birthday which is on Saturday! I want one you see so that is the perfect excuse dont you think! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back