• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny poo

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
I'm at a bit of a loss as to the best thing to do.

When ever Skip has veggies or any treats he gets the runs. Not bad enough that they are liquid but runny. Even when he has fresh hay it gives him the runs.

Hence i have stopped giving him any veggies and treats, although he still has fresh hay everyday. He gets 2 small amounts of rabbit excel everyday.

Do you think i should stop the excel and give him more veg as i feel bad that he doesn't get any. When he has the runs he doesn't sem ill or anything but he tends to do them on the carpet which leaves a nice stain and they stink!!

Any advice would be good :lol:

i had a problem with mine for the past few days and i was told it was because the hay i had was too green and too fresh,i had to go to the vets and get some pro-biotic to clear it up hth luv samxx

There are some buns that cannot tolarate greens and its best just not to give them, having the runs all the time would not be good for your rabbit and would increase the chance of fly strike. Keep to the excel and hay. If it is the new hay then it will soon be older hay and you will no if its that if youv not feed greens. vAL

What type of excel is he on? You could try switching to lite as that has higher fibre.

What sort of veg/treats are you feeding him? Does he get a mix or one type? You could try feeding a small bit of just one type and see if you can work out which his tummy is okay with and which not.

Some probiotics sound like a good suggestion too.

With diet you have to go with what works for an individual bunny. Sometimes what should work just doesn't :)

Tam

I have been thinking about trying excel lite but do i have to introduce it slowly or can i change straight away?

I make sure i clean up runnys straight away and their are no visable flies in the house (i tend to keep all doors/windows closed even thoughout summer!! As i hate bugs)

If you change to Excel light from the normal Excel you should still change it over slowly over a period of no shorter than the 10 days as it is 'different' from what you currently use.

Janice

Back